A&H

Running the line for the first time

Townie

Done 2 seasons in the park at kids levels.
Just been offered an academy game at the local EFL club to cover a lino that dropped out.
Will be revising tonight but wanted to consult the refchat members on what should I make sure I don't forget? Any top tips from experience linesman? Do I watch the ball and the player for offsides? What if I can't see the ball because of line of sight ...

The Referee Store
lining is a skill in itself that you will learn over time

in an ideal world you're watching the ball and the defensive line at the same time so you can judge offside but it's tough to do, even after 10 years! at the end of the day if you cant see the ball or some of the players for any reason you can only give what you see...don't guess!

i'd recommend you tell your ref that it's your first game, then they can help you out with some other aspects of lining such as thrown ins / goal kicks / /corners and fouls

Key is talk to the ref and listen to his instructions. There is no way to dial in to all of the nuances of being a good AR in your first game. I would suggest you focus on:
  • OS. That's your most regular job--and be patient and make sure you have involvement before flagging
  • Following the ball to the goal line--you will be in a better position than the R to judge ball over the GL
  • Listen to what your R wants on TI calls and watching for bad throws
  • Eye contact with the R.
  • As far as mechanics, read what is in the magic book. My one mechanics suggestion to focus on is plant your feet before signalling--you look more confident and in control if you do. The rest will come.

Enter @Max2 who will be insistent you provide the wine gums...
This is definitely the Referee's job!!

Done 2 seasons in the park at kids levels.
Just been offered an academy game at the local EFL club to cover a lino that dropped out.
Will be revising tonight but wanted to consult the refchat members on what should I make sure I don't forget? Any top tips from experience linesman? Do I watch the ball and the player for offsides? What if I can't see the ball because of line of sight ...
Try as much as possible to maintain position with the 2nd rearmost defender. These academy kids will be well drilled to push out when in possession so even when looking around, keep checking back for it.

Try to crab (sidestep) as much as you can... But do not do it so much it limits your ability to keep up. Facing in field will give you a better view than side on.

Your biggest job is offside. The referee can help with throw in directions, he is close to powerless to call an offside so prioritise this over everything.

At this level, should be fairly quiet so we can use sound as well as sight to detect when the ball is played.

I ran a few lines for the first time this past year, and some of the things that jump out, at least where I am (Ireland). Others can correct for UK.
  • Ask your ref how he wants you to manage fouls. I've had some refs that only want a call if it was obvious that they didn't see it. Also, they'll likely tell you to only worry about fouls that are very close to you, as they'll cover the rest.
  • Throw-ins - you could be lenient, but your ref less so, or vice versa. Some refs will manage this.
  • Checking goals before kickoff and half time if needed. I never knew it was always done left to right.
  • I also forgot a few times about needing to be in the middle for the coin toss, or walking off at half time/full time. Some refs care, some don't.
  • Positioning for corners, kickouts - youtube for a reminder if you're not sure.
  • Same for how to hold flag during normal course of play, and the hand to use while flagging for something.
Big thing is not to hang the ref out to dry on any calls. They are in charge and the lino is assisting. If any of your calls are overruled and someone challenges you, remember the ref must have had a better angle or saw something you didn't. Their call is always right, even when it's wrong.

On the offsides - its now tricky with the new interpretation of deliberate play by a defender.

Regardless of the above, like with being a referee - its mostly looking and acting confident.

Back