A&H

Religious Kit Exemption

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
I may have posted this already so apologies but I don't remember if I got a solution.

One of the women's teams I referee regularly has a player who is part of a conservative catholic denomination and wears a shin length skirt over her shorts. Something about modesty I think? I am no expert on the religious group she's a part of.

At full time in a game last season the opposition players asked me "can she wear a skirt?". I hastily replied that I wasn't sure I had the power to make her change it since it wasn't a safety issue but would ask the CFA. Naff reply I know but if you don't know something I find players respond better if you don't chat sh*t.

The clubs manager informed me of the religious angle and I tried reading through IFAB but it still isn't clear?

Feels like a clash of inclusion policy and the LOTG maybe?

The Referee Store
From the FA guidance:

"Referees, however, should make allowances for religious symbols (e.g. a player of the Sikh religion wearing a Kara in a match), provided that they are not dangerous and that adequate covering be applied as protection."

If this is at grassroots, play the game, and if you weren't sure about the validity of the religious nature report the fact afterwards to the league and to the FA.
For example, a Sikh wearing a Kara, I wouldnt report as it's clear this is a religious artefact whereas you are t sure about the religious nature of this artefact then I'd report just to say that you were aware a player was wearing X clothing on the grounds of belief. You considered them not dangerous and so allowed them to wear them but that you weren't sure if it was religious or not.

I may have posted this already so apologies but I don't remember if I got a solution.

One of the women's teams I referee regularly has a player who is part of a conservative catholic denomination and wears a shin length skirt over her shorts. Something about modesty I think? I am no expert on the religious group she's a part of.

At full time in a game last season the opposition players asked me "can she wear a skirt?". I hastily replied that I wasn't sure I had the power to make her change it since it wasn't a safety issue but would ask the CFA. Naff reply I know but if you don't know something I find players respond better if you don't chat sh*t.

The clubs manager informed me of the religious angle and I tried reading through IFAB but it still isn't clear?

Feels like a clash of inclusion policy and the LOTG maybe?
Nothing in the LOTG to stop her wearing a skirt.
The FA and most CFA's actively encourage inclusion of minority and alternative beliefs, as evidenced by Sisterhood FC in London, where membership is booming because they are accepted in local football whilst wearing clothing acceptable within Islam beliefs.
The Faith League in Hampshire addresses beliefs positively, with single faith and multi-faith teams in action, and permissible alternative apparel in some cases.

The Faith League in Hampshire addresses beliefs positively, with single faith and multi-faith teams in action, and permissible alternative apparel in some cases.
Nice! I am just over the border in Wiltshire but registered with Hampshire as well. Being on a border it can be interesting seeing how different CFAs and the football culture can be

Back