A&H

Refusing to do a team

HoofItYouDonkey

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
I did this team earlier in the season, and I had more abuse in one game than the entire season. I gave out 5 cautions for dissent and one red for OFFINABUS.
I have been given them again this Sunday, I have said 'no' as I value my teeth and I am not going to have my Easter ruined by a bunch of morons.
Anyone else ever done this?

The Referee Store
I was once given a game to ref essentially because I gave out 5 cautions and a red in an earlier game.....was quietly pleased that the league had such faith in my ability to deal with such a team

I did this team earlier in the season, and I had more abuse in one game than the entire season. I gave out 5 cautions for dissent and one red for OFFINABUS.

I got this exact same team and the result was the same, except that I didn't get any OFFINABUS
I was shocked for days because I had a very decent game, not any big controversial decision to take, great foul perception but nothing to do, the team was just a pain in the a*s and I felt like I didn't do my job because IMO they should have never finished the game with 11 players

Anyway, got them a few weeks later, at first I was a bit nervous but quickly I said to myself "F*ck this, I'm gonna go out there and this time, when I blow the final whistle, I'm gonna be happy with myself". And I did. This time 2 reds for the team, 100% justified, no moaning from other team mates when I showed the reds. The road home was very peaceful, very happy with myself this time :)

I like to see being given a troublesome team again as a show of faith in my ability. I reffed the same team three times over a six week period last season; the first game saw two reds for OFFINABUS, five cautions (mainly for dissent) and a misconduct report for the manager, second saw four yellows (all for dissent) and the third saw just one yellow. I think that once they realised I wasn't going to back down, they just gave up.

In fairness, every single one of them shook my hand at the end of the third game; I've also riffed them numerous times since, with very few issues. The majority of players respect somebody sticking to their guns, although the minority never learn.

I certainly don't blame you for refusing to ref the game though. I did similar a few years ago with an entire club, nothing but problems every time I did their games so I just decided it wasn't worth it.

I'd take it as the refs sec. backing your ability. I had a team a few weeks ago who I had last season and things didn't go well, 4 misconduct reports and a sending off, it was nearing the point of abandonment! A few weeks ago I was apparently the best ref they've had all season (they lost!!)

Much that I don't mind doing the "IDIOTS" after a dissenting experience ......if the game comes too soon after its probably better for all concerned to swap officials

I tend to get a call from my Sunday league sec when they have have specific "awkward" (f*****g orrible morons) game because he see's me as a strong ref.

I Take that as a massive compliment especially as only a L7 this year in my first full season. (Or I'm just gullible cos no one else wants to do it!!!)
You physc yourself up, and out come 22 relatively decent blokes.
Treat every game as a new one, otherwise your setting yourself up before you even get there.

That's my opinion anyway, everyone is different obviously.

Back