A&H

Refs course help

josh24

Level 7 Referee
I'm taking the referee's course in a couple of weeks, I was just wondering if there was anything I should/need to take with me, what the course actually entails over the two days, and my status following the completion of the course. Any tips, information and comments will be much appreciated!

The Referee Store
Pen & paper, some comfortable kit for the practical aspect and a willingness to listen & learn.

Once you’ve done the course you’ll be a trainee until you complete 5 games then you’ll become a level 7.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

What the course doesn't do is go through the laws bit-by-bit - the expectation is that you're coming in with a pretty solid idea of the laws of football, and the classroom sections will only try to tidy up your understanding of the more complicated areas (offside for example). So the more of the LOTG app laws 1-17 section you've read through in advance, the better off you'll be.

Outside of the classroom, they'll do some practical examples - the ones I remember are shadowing a tutor up and down as you would as an AR, pacing out a wall and administering a red/yellow card.

Absolutely agree with the above. Really look through the laws of the game (try and get a paper copy - as it’s far better to revise from).

Enjoy the course!

Take a pen and paper, be prepared to get involved and say what you think - embrace being wrong. The whole idea of the classroom parts is dispelling misconceptions that people come in with from either player mindsets or watching Sky Sports (other broadcasters available and commentators as equally irritating).

There will be a practical section. It isn't to see who is the best at football. We did a couple of small sided games rotating officials and then a bigger match for positioning.

I'm taking the referee's course in a couple of weeks, I was just wondering if there was anything I should/need to take with me, what the course actually entails over the two days, and my status following the completion of the course. Any tips, information and comments will be much appreciated!
Enjoy the course.

You only really learn how to ref when you are out on the pitch reffing a game.

As graeme as said read the laws of the game. And if it helps do some practice laws of the games tests, just so you can see what youre weaks spots are.

Pen & paper, some comfortable kit for the practical aspect and a willingness to listen & learn.

Once you’ve done the course you’ll be a trainee until you complete 5 games then you’ll become a level 7.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!
Thank you! Does it matter what 5 games I referee, or will I be assigned 5?

Thank you! Does it matter what 5 games I referee, or will I be assigned 5?
You won’t be assigned them. Get in contact with some of your local leagues and they’ll be happy to help. If you’re not sure of your local leagues, ask your CFA for some direction. Good luck with your course☺️

On my course, we were introduced to one of the referee secretaries for the local league. They should also give you details of other referee secretaries (and may even pass your details to them, if permitted).

Depending on your age and how many are roughly the same age but also how comfortable you are, talk to others when you have the opportunity. There is group work within the class aspect and when going outside as well standing outside and waiting, share interests and ideas even talk about football etc.

A couple of months after the course, I had a cup final and asked one of my assistants how long they have been refereeing which they told me they did the same course as me, I was slightly embarrassed, I never spoke to him during the course so I had no idea how he remembered me!

I would say be wary about sharing details after the course as there is a safeguarding policy in place so act what is appropriate to your age.

You won’t be assigned them. Get in contact with some of your local leagues and they’ll be happy to help. If you’re not sure of your local leagues, ask your CFA for some direction. Good luck with your course☺️
Depends on your County FA. In Hampshire each attendee fills in an availability form which is copied to the appropriate Appointment Secretaries in their area. This includes personal and parents' contact details and preferences for the day(s) to referee and any dates not available.
Contact with the League(s) is made within a couple of days and first appointments made.
Ask at the course if they don't tell you their local procedures.
Enjoy the course, and remember that everyone else is in the same boat as you, so work together for everyone's benefit.

As @ChasObserverRefDeveloper says, each area is different.
Down in Cornwall all competitive games go through a County FA appointments officer so we have very little contact with the leagues themselves.

I did my course last December and the one think they didn’t go through is the admin. Each league is slightly different and so once you choose which one, talk to the appointment secretary about their expectations on the match returns. None of this was explained to us and I found out by trial and error.
Enjoy the experiences and as a level 7 I have been an AR on a FA cup and FA Vase the last 2 weekend so there are opportunities out there if you want them.
Best of luck.

I did my course last December and the one think they didn’t go through is the admin. Each league is slightly different and so once you choose which one, talk to the appointment secretary about their expectations on the match returns. None of this was explained to us and I found out by trial and error.
Enjoy the experiences and as a level 7 I have been an AR on a FA cup and FA Vase the last 2 weekend so there are opportunities out there if you want them.
Best of luck.
Quite right, and the reason we don't cover administration in detail is that each competition varies. In my area we make that point and stress the importance of good administration.

I have a note page on my phone with main competition rules for my main leagues and their cups.

E.g. number of subs / any weird rules (one has a minimum 8 players - important as usually it’s 7!) / penalties? / rolling subs or not / etc.

This really helps me on busy weekends!!

Back