A&H

Refereeing in Girls' and Womens' Leagues

pankaye

Level 5 Referee
Do any of you gents referee in a female league? I am thinking about doing that as in my county its the only saturday morning league available but I am not even sure if males are allowed to referee in female league

The Referee Store
I do. It's a more technical game of football (in own experience) with less emphasis on pure brute force and power.

I enjoy it.

you'll probs find that the games are given to female officials in pre to males as it assists in expaditing promotion for felame officials. There is a need for more of them at higher levels, so there is an amount of acceloration of which doing female games is part.

Call it a chance to experience activly encouraged sexual discrimination, from the side of the discriminated!

No discrimination in the appointment of referees for male football then, HR

I have refereed on the FAWPL regional league. It's a decent standard, the majority of players are better than I ever was and it's good match practice. The skill level is good, there is a lack of physicality in many of the challenges. Go for it.

you'll probs find that the games are given to female officials in pre to males as it assists in expaditing promotion for felame officials. There is a need for more of them at higher levels, so there is an amount of acceloration of which doing female games is part.

Call it a chance to experience activly encouraged sexual discrimination, from the side of the discriminated!
Our RDO said it is his intentions to make all matches in the local girls league refereed by a female ref. Is that discrimination? We also have just had an all female basic course where the "candidates" only paid £40 instead of the £120 Normal charge. Is that discrimination?

With less than 3% female referees in Sussex, a similar idea was suggested at my local r.a. the same cries of 'discrimination' were voiced then. It's called positive discrimination, hull, and it's often criticised by people who want to preserve the status quo.

On a positive note, at least your cfa has taken the next step - I think sussex cfa is still thrashing about in the tar pits

The problem I have is i had to pay 2 and a half times more than this to do the course just a few months earlier, it's a good initiative and the course itself was full but why can't they do something like that for U18's too??

Welcome to the shiny new FA world...

If you're female or under 25 we won't care a stuff about whether you're actually any good......we'll just promote you anyway......

The rather out dated "typical" male responses here are making me roll my eyes a lot. Let's face it, if you want to call it discrimination but the fact is it's in the FA's best interest to get females officiating and if that involves making the course cheaper then it makes sense.

Reactions: SM
The rather out dated "typical" male responses here are making me roll my eyes a lot. Let's face it, if you want to call it discrimination but the fact is it's in the FA's best interest to get females officiating and if that involves making the course cheaper then it makes sense.

Ok then, let's make the course cheaper for Muslims and travellers.....both are underrepresented in refereeing.......in fact let's make it cheaper for everyone who isn't a white male, who make up the vast majority of referees in this country?

Refereeing is supposed to be about fairness and equality......

Ok then, let's make the course cheaper for Muslims and travellers.....both are underrepresented in refereeing.......in fact let's make it cheaper for everyone who isn't a white male, who make up the vast majority of referees in this country?

Refereeing is supposed to be about fairness and equality......

If I had a pound for every time time I rolled my eyes reading this thread I'd literally be a millionaire.

I know the point you are making, however I also understand why the FA isn't sending out adverts saying half price referee course for gypsies.

It's about them picking their battles and addressing a way of rectifying it.

Let's say the FA call you padfoot and offer you millions to work with them. Your first job is the lack of female referees at all levels, from grassroots to top level. What would you suggest doing to improve that?

I'll be perfectly honest here, in my experience a lot of the Girls football has been better than the women's!

I'll re-emphasise the points made above, its a much more technical game. Sometime it's of a lower quality, and it really does depend on who you get on the day. I've had cup ties where one team's tactic was get the ball to the keeper and let her hoof it high (and short) while the other team just shoot (and won 1-0), and I've had other open attacking 4-4 games that have been a privilege to be involved in.

Lower levels are much more "recreational" than the comparable mens game. Different species, totally.

If I had a pound for every time time I rolled my eyes reading this thread I'd literally be a millionaire.

I know the point you are making, however I also understand why the FA isn't sending out adverts saying half price referee course for gypsies.

It's about them picking their battles and addressing a way of rectifying it.

Let's say the FA call you padfoot and offer you millions to work with them. Your first job is the lack of female referees at all levels, from grassroots to top level. What would you suggest doing to improve that?
But padfoot's right, having an all female course is disrimination, if it was the other way round there would be uproar.

Nobody has mentioned an all female course that I can see?

Encouraging more females into refereeing is surely a good thing? If they have to use enticements to make it happen, then so be it.

Encouraging more females into refereeing is surely a good thing? If they have to use enticements to make it happen, then so be it.
Not if it is done in a discriminatory way.

Why do females need their own promotion pathway? What is wrong with progressing the same everyone else has to?

Exactly, enticements are going to be needed for anyone who is in a minority group to come into something new.

Not if it is done in a discriminatory way.

Why do females need their own promotion pathway? What is wrong with progressing the same everyone else has to?

If there's a whole separate football League system for women then I think a pathway for female refs makes sense.

Back