A&H

Refereeing in a Cast

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee
Broke my predominant wrist. I am in a hard cast that covers my forearm.

2 questions.

Am I good to referee in a cast?

What can I do to pad my cast, as I assume I won't be allowed to run around with a brick on my arm.

The Referee Store
Would you allow a player to play with a cast?

No, so don’t do it yourself.

You really should try to minimise movement of the arm to allow the bone to heal properly (which would make it difficult to signal).

You’re also in for problems if you get hit by the ball / slip and fall over.

As someone who had a cast a couple of years ago, they could also get very sweaty and uncomfortable if you’re exercising like that. Would recommend not doing it.

Would you allow a player to play with a cast?
That isn't really the test. You ref without shin guards . . . and in some competitions an adequately padded cast is permitted . . .

In my mind the first step is to find out what local expectations are. Seems to me that may also depend on the nature of the cast--many modern casts are much, much lighter than they used to be. And as alexgr said, there is a big question of protecting yourself--which is really a question for your doctor.

I wear it to the gym every day and have been regularly running in it. Hygiene is what it is when it comes to wearing cloth on your arm for months.

If a ball hits it, it is encased in a shell, so no issue.

Just worried about some black-and-white rules on this.

I am wearing the cast for an observation.

Could cause problems as previously posted in advice by alexgr and social lurker..

During the game, you have cause to tell a player to remove a ring or neck chain, which you didn't notice pre match. He refuses claiming it is no more dangerous than your cast. What happens next? (I'm playing devil's advocate I know).

Personally, when I was in a similar situation, I closed my dates until the cast was removed. Can't advise about padding - sorry.

Personally I’d be concerned about what could happen if there were to be a collision and a player were to be injured as a result.

Off the top of my head I don’t there this is anything technically stopping you from refereeing with it on, but I think the biggest issue would come down to credibility.

I’m not sure how much credibility you’d have asking a player to remove a piece of jewellery whilst you have your arm wrapped in a cast. On top of that, if you managed to have a Robbie Savage/Matt Messias moment, you’d potentially be in some trouble…….

Last edited by a moderator:
Off the top of my head I don’t there this is anything technically stopping you from refereeing with it on, but I think the biggest issue would come down to credibility.

I’m not sure how much credibility you’d have asking a player to remove a piece of jewellery whilst you have your arm wrapped in a cast. On top of that, if you managed to have a Robbie Savage/Matt Messias moment, you’d potentially be in some trouble…….
I understand people saying credibility. But surely I can inform the lads that I have broken my wrist and the referee does not play a contact role.

Unless you're being marked by Mustafi...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1684485387618.jpg
    FB_IMG_1684485387618.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 11
@OldNavyRef
I think it’s clear from your posts that you have already made your mind up relating to this and simply want other members to validate your choice.

Several have pointed out that they don’t think it is sensible and provided a reason why they have that view.

Rather than bounce back and forth waiting for someone to agree with you, I’d suggest you ask the appointment officer for the fixture of their view if you are still unsure.

I understand people saying credibility. But surely I can inform the lads that I have broken my wrist and the referee does not play a contact role.
While I question the wisdom of doing it, especially for an observation, I do agree that there is a significant difference between being a ref and being a player competing with opponents for the ball. I really wouldn't have any problem selling this--any more than selling that I'm wearing my wedding ring while I ref, which I always take off to play (even though the relaxed league I play in doesn't care/check).

While I question the wisdom of doing it, especially for an observation, I do agree that there is a significant difference between being a ref and being a player competing with opponents for the ball. I really wouldn't have any problem selling this--any more than selling that I'm wearing my wedding ring while I ref, which I always take off to play (even though the relaxed league I play in doesn't care/check).
That's probably another debate ...
Laws specifically state you shouldn't wear any jewellery other than a watch.
I always remove my wedding band when refereeing.

What is interesting is that the laws makes no mention of other dangerous equipment for referees as it does for players... But I think I fall on spirit of game, the reason you can't wear jewellery is that is could be dangerous to you and/ or players and the same is (even more) true of a hard cast.

@OldNavyRef - common sense says don't do it.

As the observer, I would be concerned about you doing it. Even though you say it will only affect your writing, what about arm signals (throw-ins, free-kicks, advantage); your general well-being and concentrating on the game if there was some discomfort / pain occurring.

I suspect this is a reasonable important match, so how do you think the players will feel with the referee turning up with their arm in a cast. Is he acting in their best interest?

But also, if you fell over and damaged further, no insurance would cover you as you have taken an unnecessary risk. Work would be entitle to cease your Sick pay, due to injuring yourself further as a result of a negligent action and more importantly - what would your wife / partner / mother says if you damaged it further. That level of nagging is just not worth it for an observation!

Laws specifically state you shouldn't wear any jewellery other than a watch.
Point taken. Here a wedding ring has generally been considered exempt. (I did take off mine for a while, but for the games I do it is totally unexpected so I stopped.)

But also, if you fell over and damaged further, no insurance would cover you as you have taken an unnecessary risk. Work would be entitle to cease your Sick pay, due to injuring yourself further as a result of a negligent action and more importantly - what would your wife / partner / mother says if you damaged it further. That level of nagging is just not worth it for an observation!
Wow--your insurance/work place rules must be much harsher there than on this side of the pond! But you make a good point about nagging issue . . .

Not sure I buy the argument that is isn't really dangerous for a referee. It isn't as dangerous granted, but there is still some danger as accidental contact between players and referees does happen. I've accidentally whacked a player in the face, even more unfortunately a female player, but there's also the danger to you. A cast is to keep the bones still to allow setting, if you fall onto the arm or a player collides with you it isn't likely to help.

Imagine if Matt Messias was wearing a cast here, he would have knocked Robbie Savage's head off. Some might argue that would have been a good thing, but it shows that accidents do happen.

Back