A&H

Refereeing boots

saullyons2

Level 7 Referee
Just a general question, I have worn copa mundials all my years refereeing but recently they have all felt flat and hard, any nice and spongy refereeing boots/reccomendations?

The Referee Store
Full disclosure that I live in the United States, where 1) we don't get so worked up about whether referees wear true soccer shoes and 2) we don't have the requirements that many 3G/4G fields in the UK have where flat-soled shoes or turf (Astro) shoes are prohibited.

These are the shoes I wear for a lot of games. They have turf soles, but have the structure and cushioning of running shoes. If I take one pair of shoes with me to a match, these are it.

Again, this is a US-only option, but these shoes are really intriguing for me. A former national and current major college referee in the US designed these shoes. They are supposed to be a mix of soccer shoes and trail running shoes. I do like wearing soccer-style shoes (particularly on the line) because of the quick cuts and movements, and I might purchase these to see if they are as advertised.

Last edited:
I really like trail running shoes to ref in as well. They have enough traction for anything but a mushy field, but a lot more support than a soccer shoe. If you go the run I g shoe route, you definitely want trail runners for two reasons: they have better traction with light studding and they have better side to side support, as traditional running shoes are designed for running in straight lines. The ones I wear are from Salomon.

After years of Copas I just switched to Hoka running shoes for all artificial stuff. Much more comfortable and the timing gates say I’m faster. Wet grass requires an alternative but that’s rare for me in the frozen North.

So I live down in Cornwall and we can very rarely get away with anything other than boots!

I’ve always opted for these, although they’re rugby boots they’re the comfiest I’ve found and last for years!

Bet they wreck your feet in a summer.
Used to like my Astros for the hard summer pitch, but agree anything post October, has to be boots.

Back