A&H

Junior/Youth Referee squaring up to manager

dadofref

Had a contrasting experience today, and could do with some advice to be honest... In the morning, watched 14yo son ref an U11s match, make some good decisions, and generally handle things well. It's about the 20th match he's done and he's really grown into it. Has made the odd mistake throughout the games he's reffed, but he's learning, and people have been pretty understanding. Generally speaking he's done really well though.

Fast forward to this afternoon's U15 "friendly" match that he was playing in... The referee was probably in his 50s, relatively slow and struggled to keep up with the pace of a high-level U15s game - including failing to call a really really obvious offside that directly led to a goal because he was so far behind play. He had a pocket watch rather than a wristwatch (which seemed a bit odd) which he seemed to make a big deal about getting out of his pocket every time anyones asked him for time remaining, and his County FA badge on his shirt must have been 20+ years old. In the case of several players he had words with, he spent an excessive time lecturing them (giving them final warnings), which really broke up the flow of the play in a negative manner, and didn't add any time on.

The players and coaches were generally getting a bit exasperated in the second half, but things came to a head when the ball went out for a throw, a linesman (Team B's coach) flagged in favour of Team A, and Team A's coach tried to call the referee's attention to it. After the 3rd or 4th time of this happening in the space of 10 minutes, Team A's coach got pretty exasperated and vocal and asked the referee what the point was of having linesmen if he was just going to blatantly ignore them in spite of them being much closer with a better view.

The referee marched over to the coach of Team B, and stood practically nose-touching the coach, and started berating him - you could easily argue it was assault. The coach of Team B loudly said, several times, to "get out of my space". At no point did the referee back up, and he pulled out a red card and sent the coach off; the coach then left the vicinity of the pitch. I would hazard that if he has reported the coach, the coach would have a reasonable claim to have the red card rescinded given the threatening manner that the referee had acted in.

Personally, it was the worst behaviour I'd ever seen by any referee. I politely asked the referee for his name after the match, because I wanted to raise his behaviour it to the County FA, and he refused, calling me "boring". As it was a friendly, I don't believe there was any paperwork submitted, and the referee was arranged by Team A (the home team).

As a parent of several players, spectator, and parent of a junior referee, this kind of thing exasperates me - it's a referee who's made it all about him, who's been overly officious, made poor decisions, behaved badly, and generally left everyone with a bad taste in their mouth. I think everyone would have been happier if one of the coaches had reffed it, or if they'd split it between them. Also, what motivates this kind of referee, to spend part of their afternoon seemingly actively engineering conflict?

What would you do in this situation? Personally, I wouldn't want to see this guy in the middle for any match my kids are involved in again after the way he squared up to the coach - but without a name, how on earth do I report this to the County FA?

The Referee Store
Had a contrasting experience today, and could do with some advice to be honest... In the morning, watched 14yo son ref an U11s match, make some good decisions, and generally handle things well. It's about the 20th match he's done and he's really grown into it. Has made the odd mistake throughout the games he's reffed, but he's learning, and people have been pretty understanding. Generally speaking he's done really well though.

Fast forward to this afternoon's U15 "friendly" match that he was playing in... The referee was probably in his 50s, relatively slow and struggled to keep up with the pace of a high-level U15s game - including failing to call a really really obvious offside that directly led to a goal because he was so far behind play. He had a pocket watch rather than a wristwatch (which seemed a bit odd) which he seemed to make a big deal about getting out of his pocket every time anyones asked him for time remaining, and his County FA badge on his shirt must have been 20+ years old. In the case of several players he had words with, he spent an excessive time lecturing them (giving them final warnings), which really broke up the flow of the play in a negative manner, and didn't add any time on.

The players and coaches were generally getting a bit exasperated in the second half, but things came to a head when the ball went out for a throw, a linesman (Team B's coach) flagged in favour of Team A, and Team A's coach tried to call the referee's attention to it. After the 3rd or 4th time of this happening in the space of 10 minutes, Team A's coach got pretty exasperated and vocal and asked the referee what the point was of having linesmen if he was just going to blatantly ignore them in spite of them being much closer with a better view.

The referee marched over to the coach of Team B, and stood practically nose-touching the coach, and started berating him - you could easily argue it was assault. The coach of Team B loudly said, several times, to "get out of my space". At no point did the referee back up, and he pulled out a red card and sent the coach off; the coach then left the vicinity of the pitch. I would hazard that if he has reported the coach, the coach would have a reasonable claim to have the red card rescinded given the threatening manner that the referee had acted in.

Personally, it was the worst behaviour I'd ever seen by any referee. I politely asked the referee for his name after the match, because I wanted to raise his behaviour it to the County FA, and he refused, calling me "boring". As it was a friendly, I don't believe there was any paperwork submitted, and the referee was arranged by Team A (the home team).

As a parent of several players, spectator, and parent of a junior referee, this kind of thing exasperates me - it's a referee who's made it all about him, who's been overly officious, made poor decisions, behaved badly, and generally left everyone with a bad taste in their mouth. I think everyone would have been happier if one of the coaches had reffed it, or if they'd split it between them. Also, what motivates this kind of referee, to spend part of their afternoon seemingly actively engineering conflict?

What would you do in this situation? Personally, I wouldn't want to see this guy in the middle for any match my kids are involved in again after the way he squared up to the coach - but without a name, how on earth do I report this to the County FA?
Somebody must have appointed him or contacted him to arrange him being there. Probably the home team coach? It shouldn't be too hard to get a name if you really want to?

The home club presumably arranged the referee, so should have his details.
The County FA can check whether he is a registered referee, but won't be able to do anything about a complaint from a spectator re his officiating in this match, as it's about opinions.
If he's not registered, the club brought tbe issue on themselves although getting a referee for a youth team friendly is never easy on a regular match day.

The home club presumably arranged the referee, so should have his details.
The County FA can check whether he is a registered referee, but won't be able to do anything about a complaint from a spectator re his officiating in this match, as it's about opinions.
If he's not registered, the club brought tbe issue on themselves although getting a referee for a youth team friendly is never easy on a regular match day.
Home club didn't seem to want to engage with any kind of complaint, which is convenient given they arranged the referee...

It's not so much the officiating - although if someone who is a registered referee in effect assaults a participant, surely there's got to be a way of the County FA dealing with that?

There is nothing stopping you from writing/emailing the County FA with your concerns if it has worried you. Arguably it’s the opposite that’s the bigger issue, that people don’t.

There are a handful or bad’uns out there, and sadly it’s the case that with so many quitting because of poor behaviour by others that they don’t get rooted out and are able to linger.

If you do write in, be factual, and objective. Avoid comments such as “ referee who's made it all about him, who's been overly officious, made poor decisions” as that’ll just see your report binned as a whinge.

The other facts are worthy of note, so long as you pitch it correctly.

Given that it is youth football it very definitely falls under safeguarding children, even though the confrontation was between two adults. If you want to report it look up the CFA's designated safety officer details on their website and email them. If they think there is anything in it they will contact the club and ask for the referee's details.

That’s outrageous behaviour from the match official and you should report to the county fa. If it was a manager who had done that to the official then we would all be up in arms about it. I’m not sure on procedures but I’d imagine if the home team have sorted the ref out then they would have the details and responsibility to make sure the referee is at least registered .

Back