A&H

Referee Inactive - Please correct your equipment!

Today's two games saw me travel almost all the way to Lancashire and then back to the heart of West Yorkshire for a County Sunday Trophy game then an U16 fixture. I had some incidents which means there's enough for a double blog today.

In the first game I had two incidents where player equipment caused an issue for me and for the players involved. I have, since my earliest assessments for promotion, always been pretty keen on checking player equipment. I still have the stud which had snapped off a players boot in the warm-up and he handed to me when I made him change his footwear. As I always say to the player involved who has a stud missing, I wouldn't let you drive a car with a wheel missing, so why should I let you play in a game, with a stud missing.

The equipment check also gives me time to break the ice with players, pick out those who might cause me a problem and have a joke at the expense of one player, usually a centre half or a goalkeeper. The law change regarding the colour of the tape on player socks has meant I need more time because there is always at least one player who thinks it doesn't apply to him.

At this morning's game I got the inspection completed early as we needed to mark Remembrance Sunday. I noted 4-5 players with non-matching tape and asked them to correct their equipment. I also picked up one player wearing a rubber bracelet which also came off. The game kicked off after the 2 minute silence and after 5 minutes, the home team took the lead. About 10 minutes later I spotted that one of the players hadn't removed his red tape from his purple socks so at the next opportunity I told him to go correct his equipment off the field and (IMPORTANTLY) I said don't come back on until I tell you.

I'm sure any readers who have refereed football for a little while will know what happened next. The game restarted, the ball went out for a goal kick, I turned around to signal the player back on to the field to see him running past me out of defence. So I stopped the game, called him and his captain over, explained the situation and cautioned the offender for re-entering the field of play without permission.

He complained loudly so I asked his captain to quieten him down but that was nothing compared to the loud comments originating from a spectator (turned out it was the player's dad who would probably end up paying the administration fee). As things turned out these protests were minimal in comparison to the outburst that followed the next equipment incident.

Shortly after the start of the second half I noted the player who I had asked remove his rubber band. It seems in hindsight that this might have been a diversion from the wedding ring he hadn't removed but covered with red tape. I asked him to remove it and he refused saying it didn't come off. I explained to him, to his captain and his manager that he had to remove it and none of them would accept I was correct. The next thing that happened was one of his team mates called me "A joke" so he was cautioned. Eventually, the player confirmed he couldn't/wouldn't remove the wedding ring, so I told him he couldn't continue to take part in the game.

His manager challenged my decision telling me that a wedding ring was different. I explained that WRCFA have said (since October 2008) that wedding rings must not be taped but removed. Obviously someone (a lot of someones) in this player's local league has been turning a blind eye to his taped wedding ring and this "last week's (month's/year's?)referee" caused for me, a referee who has travelled 19 miles to look after this game, a problem. He was substituted.

So two players with incorrect equipment have caused a situation where I have had to caution them or a team mate. So if you're a player reading this blog, please correct your equipment ...
1430959096615306100-6336385443733274555

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back