A&H

referee covers penalty with NO assistance.

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I saw a game in league one tonight where the home team had a penalty.

The referee was stood on the 6 yard line and the AR was in line with the penalty area.

Is this a new practice?

The Referee Store
I saw a game in league one tonight where the home team had a penalty.

The referee was stood on the 6 yard line and the AR was in line with the penalty area.

Is this a new practice?
I doubt it and it's playing with fire. The most important decision in a penalty is ball in/out and you must have someone on the goal line to be able to sell a decision when the ball is only millimetres in/out.

Last edited:
I doubt it and it's playing with fire. The most important decision in a penalty is ball in/out and you must have someone on the goal line to be able to sell a decision when the ball is only millimetres in/out.

The only way it possibly makes sense is if GLT is being used. This shift would make the R responsible for GK movement and the AR for encroachment. I'm *guessing* the idea would be that the GK movement is the highest profile call, so leave that to the R--but being on the line is the best place to see if the GK has moved forward. Presumably this is an experiment, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'll put a link to the incident later.

Geo blocked. Just to be clear, I didn't doubt it had happened, I doubted it is a new practice :). But as @socal lurker said, it could be an experiment.

If an experiment, I guess it goes well until a close in/out decision has to be sold, especially if they get it wrong.

The AR is never in shot, so we dont know if he was or he wasn't at the intersection.
He could very well have moved back to his position before the camera caught back up to him

The AR is never in shot, so we dont know if he was or he wasn't at the intersection.
He could very well have moved back to his position before the camera caught back up to him
Is it "normal" for a ref to stand on the 6 yard line?

Is it "normal" for a ref to stand on the 6 yard line?
I never said it was. Your point though, that the AR was stood in line with top of PA is not proven (nor disproven) by the video. Yes the ref has an unorthodox position but the AR might very well have been there too

I never said it was. Your point though, that the AR was stood in line with top of PA is not proven (nor disproven) by the video. Yes the ref has an unorthodox position but the AR might very well have been there too
I was watching it live but you make your own mind up.

Back