A&H

Referee Assaulted

The Referee Store
It's not just the FA acting, it's also the police - respect campaigns do jack all unless there's a deterrent in place.

Life ban from football + criminal proceedings should do the job

I wonder if there are any stats out there regarding the number of open age games taking place and the frequency of such assaults

Deep down, I suppose this sort of incident is a worry for everyone on here ....

I've witnessed one attempt at an assault, but the most I've ever had trouble with is a player trying to chest-barge me.

I must admit, I've never really thought about assaults, which is unusual because we get to see it often enough between players themselves. I'm not sure what I'd do if it did happen though. I'd probably ask the referee's officer to assign me a lower league game and get back in the saddle asap.

And the FA wonder why grassroots football is dying out! They moan about lack of players and it becoming too expensive for them, but when there is trouble do they support what effectively are their employees?

Player involvement is more important to the FA than referee safety! :blackeye:

@Big Cat for some reason I think the stats would be incorrect because there will be a few which are considered not proved by the FA. Sadly some referees aren't proficient at report writing which in complete fairness to them, if I'd been assaulted in that manner I'd probably struggle to come up with a detailed and mainly coherent report!! I've been pushed and witnessed some shocking things in football, but that's on a completely different level. Player involved needs a lifetime ban and criminal charges.

This is a horrible incident. I have refereed on a league where the general sense was of (potentially dangerous) hostility, and I made the decision to withdraw after a few games. Life is just too short to put yourself at risk in this way. I believe (perhaps optimistically) that there is a relatively civilised Saturday/Sunday league in this country within 20 miles of any town; one just has to be selective and do the research. Then, as a consequence, the teams guilty of misconduct time and again will either have to eject those influences, educate themselves, pay more, or give up on official leagues altogether and continue the brutality in their own time.

My local council have put up pitch fees for next season by £50 per year which has caused a big fuss . My point was that the players don’t have a problem picking up bookings which they know will cost them .
Save the bookings behave all stick a very small amount in extra and pitch fee covered at a fraction of the price

My point was the teams saying they might not be able to continue due to increased pitch fees yet they pay out weekly for fines that costs a lot more , if most teams behaved/respected the referee they would save on fines and easily pay the increased pitch fee no problem .

I always thought they were paid by the club and players reimburse the club
Fines are paid by the club but reimbursed form the player .
My point is the club gains there money to pay for the pitch fees etc from the players subs they pay each week

I don't think there's a strong correlation between pitch fees and participation levels. Football is a relatively inexpensive pastime. Too may lard ars3s glued to their xboxes

Fines are paid by the club but reimbursed form the player .
My point is the club gains there money to pay for the pitch fees etc from the players subs they pay each week

Depends on the club. When I used to run one our policy was that we would pay fines for technical offences like cautions for fouls, DOGSO, etc. But if it was dissent, OFFINABUS, VC, etc, the player paid. Or rather we paid it and then got it back from them.

Depends on the club. When I used to run one our policy was that we would pay fines for technical offences like cautions for fouls, DOGSO, etc. But if it was dissent, OFFINABUS, VC, etc, the player paid. Or rather we paid it and then got it back from them.
Mmm, interesting format that, club pays fines for fouls etc?? really!!! shocked!!

Mmm, interesting format that, club pays fines for fouls etc?? really!!! shocked!!

Don't see why. I didn't want my players to be scared to go into tackles for fear of getting cautions and fines, or even getting a caution for "taking one for the team" and stopping a promising attack. These days it is very difficult to avoid a yellow card, and players can be cautioned when they had no intention of committing an offence, should they have to pay for that?

Equally though I was not letting them get away with dissent, and not only would it cost them the caution fee but I would almost always hook them if I had a sub available. Unlike giving away cautions for fouls, this is entirely avoidable and is a totally pointless action. No referee will ever change their mind, so that was the message I always tried to get across.

Ah, well the reason I figured it was players paying the fine directly is because there's a list of players banned from playing for non-payment of fines. I guess if the club pays but doesn't get the fee back from the player they can report that? Some people owe pretty interesting amounts, in excess of £100 in some cases.

Ah, well the reason I figured it was players paying the fine directly is because there's a list of players banned from playing for non-payment of fines. I guess if the club pays but doesn't get the fee back from the player they can report that? Some people owe pretty interesting amounts, in excess of £100 in some cases.

Often those are a bit different, those players are often where a club has folded owing the league and / or CFA money. When that happens the outstanding debt is split across all members of the club, and they are all suspended until their share of the debt is paid up.

Where a player owes a club in excess of £50 the club can appeal to their CFA to try and get the money back under the Football Debt Recovery Scheme. They must wait 28 days after requesting the debt is repaid, and put the request in no later than 112 days after the debt was incurred. The debt cannot contain annual subscriptions, as these should be paid prior to the season starting. If the CFA believe the debt is genuine they will suspend the player sine die until it is paid.

We had a club fold owing us close to £1000 as they had deliberately vandalised a very expensive league trophy and also had lots of unpaid fines. The CFA accepted this and split the debt across all 18 members, and then suspended 16 of them that didn't pay within 21 days. Most eventually paid up as they couldn't sign for another club until they had.

I know of a ref that got assualted just before xmas last year. The ref is in his late teens, the player was approx 22 years old. The player pleaded guilty to both the Police and FA. He got a 7 year ban and ordered to pay the ref £50.

Back