A&H

Red card Wrexham FC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the keeper had stayed up (instead of going to ground with the obvious agony he was in from the brutal kick he received) would the ref have showed a red card? My opinion is no. Based on that the keeper is guilty of an offence. When will the refs in this country start cautioning for players faking injury only for said player to "recover" once a red card is shown?

I think a yellow for the attacker would have been the result if the keeper had stayed up but the ref reacted, based on the keeper, not to what he had actually seen.

By that thought approach, would you automatically send off a player that makes a challenge that leads to a serious injury for an opponent (such as a broken leg)?

By deciding on a different sanction depending on the players reaction, you run the risk of "refereeing by outcome"

The Referee Store
By that thought approach, would you automatically send off a player that makes a challenge that leads to a serious injury for an opponent (such as a broken leg)?

By deciding on a different sanction depending on the players reaction, you run the risk of "refereeing by outcome"
I've read your question a few times but don't understand it.

I am suggesting the sanction the referee chose (red) was based on the keeper's reaction, not the offence committed.

Do you really think that was an attempt to hurt the keeper? For me it was an attempt to annoy him, not hurt him.
That is quite simply niave.

You don't kick someone to annoy them, the same way that you don't punch someone to annoy them.

There are certain actions which are only intended to hurt someone, and a kick is one of them.

There are kicks and there are kicks. I disagree that every scenario would lead to a red.

The keeper here has dictated the ref's response. If you do not believe that to be the case you may be naive!

I also notice that twice you've chosen not to answer the question I posed - if in this situation, the GK turns around and punches the attacker that kicked him, what sanctions are you issuing to the 2 players involved in the incident?
I'll answer it for him ;). I'm confident that pretty much every ref on this forum would be producing a double red card in the situation you describe. You'd have zero choice with the keeper and you'd lose all credibility if you went yellow for the instigator of the problem.

The thread has done a really good job of making me ponder on the impact of player reaction when it comes to the required sanction. Whilst I'd love to believe we all inhabit a 'purist' world where it has no impact, the regrettable reality is that it does. Had the keeper just 'laughed off' the (very weak) kick that he received then it would have made selling the red card much harder. Him in a heap on the floor makes it much easier. I guess because "brutality" with no apparent effect on the recipient seems somewhat bizarre.

Interestingly, only just noticed that the catalyst for the whole incident was the attacker pushing the defender towards the keeper for no reason .. keeper takes offense and brushes past the attacker leading to attacker kicking out. Maybe in a perfect world we'd see the initial push and intervene to calm the situation :rolleyes:

But they love a kerfuffle these days @jofusref. It like coppers carving nicks if their truncheons!

We’ve all gone hyper sensitive over the years to see the worst in almost anything vaguely violent. Was it silly, yes, was it called for, no, was it Violent? Do me a favour. It was like handbags with feet!

2 yellows and jog on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back