A&H

red card appeals

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
i found out the other day clubs can appeal against all red cards (bar offinabus and 2 yellows) WITHOUT video evidence.

I mistakenly thought the rules changed a few years back and video evidence was a must.

How wrong i was.

The Referee Store
Could you give a break down of the situation as I think it would be interesting.

What are you up against, obviously 11 players, all the subs, the coaching team and the spectators had a perfect view of your 'mistake'.

I just don't know how a solo referee with (C)ARs would have a chance against that.

Could you give a break down of the situation as I think it would be interesting.

What are you up against, obviously 11 players, all the subs, the coaching team and the spectators had a perfect view of your 'mistake'.

I just don't know how a solo referee with (C)ARs would have a chance against that.
I'm not sure what you are asking.

It would be interest hat grounds they have for an appeal - given the standard for "obvious" that is used for VAR decisions.

An obvious error would be mistaken identity, but a reckless / dangerous foul and VC is judgment as is DOGSO; so they would find difficulty to prove on "he said/ they said" basis.

They can appeal, but it is pretty much impossible for them to win unless they have video evidence. The onus is on them to prove innocence, whereas it used to be on the CFA to prove guilt. These days a red card is just a tick box so, unlike before, the club doesn't have a copy of the referee's report, which means they can't base their defence on what the referee has said.

I did hear about one appeal that was successful, where a keeper was sent off for DOGSO for handling outside his area. They appealed on the basis of there being no attacking players close when it happened, and when asked the referee agreed but said that any handling outside the area is an automatic red card. So that was a successful appeal and education for the referee in question.

Back