A&H

Promotions

The Referee Store
"As a Level 5 referee"...who chose to come down from 4 to 5 because he was fed up with the stupid system and the butt-kissing involved. Anyone that knew me a year ago will know I fell out of love with refereeing because of it.
Don't come on here and try stating stuff to me when you don't know me or my situation.

I've worked with a large number of the guys promoted to 5&4 and there are very few who truly deserve it.

There's one person, whose name I won't mention, had 4!!! abandoned games in his first season as a 4. As a 5, he got promoted on the final day of the (extended) marking season as his club marks were SO dreadful, he had to get a fifth assessment in. Why & how has he been promoted? Because he's an extremely good brown-nose to The FA bods. Oh, and he's run my line too and he's shocking. He'll get torn apart as a Conference South AR.

"As a Level 5 referee"...who chose to come down from 4 to 5 because he was fed up with the stupid system and the butt-kissing involved. Anyone that knew me a year ago will know I fell out of love with refereeing because of it.
Don't come on here and try stating stuff to me when you don't know me or my situation.

I've worked with a large number of the guys promoted to 5&4 and there are very few who truly deserve it.

There's one person, whose name I won't mention, had 4!!! abandoned games in his first season as a 4. As a 5, he got promoted on the final day of the (extended) marking season as his club marks were SO dreadful, he had to get a fifth assessment in. Why & how has he been promoted? Because he's an extremely good brown-nose to The FA bods. Oh, and he's run my line too and he's shocking. He'll get torn apart as a Conference South AR.
You got any tips for those of us looking to brown nose it to the top then dan?? :rolleyes:

it is still a little disrespectful and does sound a tad jealous?

2 things:

1. If I want to state stuff then I will do at pleasure, I wasn't abusive or derogatory, unlike yourself - I was stating simple fact that it was a little ironic a level 5 saying that level 4 and 3 were awful ...

2. I'm fully aware that for my mere 24 years I am quite mature minded and in the 'real' world ... this also means I appreciate that not everyone is the same so ... quick life lesson for you ... in life, as much as you might not want to, you have to brown nose. If you don't brown nose once so often then you don't go anywhere ... you stay on a crappy wage, doing the crappy jobs and the bottom of the pile ... some brown nosing can get you a long way - positive thinking people call it 'earning brownie points' or 'going the extra mile' or even 'being proactive' - maybe if you started to look on it this way then you would maybe be a level 2 now? who knows!

that's my peace ...apoligies to @Ross if I've been out of line

I sincerely hope that no-one at the FA sees Mr Cohen's posts of alleged "brown-nosing" etc. and denigrating them and their other officials in that manner - for they may feel the need to haul him up before the Committee Beak.

I have heard of others carpeted for much less...

Is that possible because I thought you would need marks from March to Feb and Aug to Feb isnt enough?

I wonder how many first year 4's got level 3 at the first time of asking.

It has been known. Took me two years though ;-)

From my own chatting to a senior FA source, typically 96% of promotions to Level 3 were due to the referee being in Band A for both assessments (primary criteria) and club marks.

In short:

AA - 'good chance' of being promoted (Remember: They only take as many as they need)
AB - 'some chance' (If there aren't enough in 'AA' on your league)
BA - 'no chance'

There also appears to be an exception for the referee who finishes in the top spot for assessments -- lower club marks are tolerated, but I think only as far down as B.

it is still a little disrespectful and does sound a tad jealous?

2 things:

1. If I want to state stuff then I will do at pleasure, I wasn't abusive or derogatory, unlike yourself - I was stating simple fact that it was a little ironic a level 5 saying that level 4 and 3 were awful ...

2. I'm fully aware that for my mere 24 years I am quite mature minded and in the 'real' world ... this also means I appreciate that not everyone is the same so ... quick life lesson for you ... in life, as much as you might not want to, you have to brown nose. If you don't brown nose once so often then you don't go anywhere ... you stay on a crappy wage, doing the crappy jobs and the bottom of the pile ... some brown nosing can get you a long way - positive thinking people call it 'earning brownie points' or 'going the extra mile' or even 'being proactive' - maybe if you started to look on it this way then you would maybe be a level 2 now? who knows!

that's my peace ...apoligies to @Ross if I've been out of line
More than happy living the high life in America coaching the game, thanks. Ironic? Hardly. I came down this time last year by choice.

Being proactive is miles away from brown-nosing. Maybe I would be a L2 if I brown-nosed. But then I wouldn't be living in America and I would be dealing with the wonderful politics that comes with The FA NGS.

I sincerely hope that no-one at the FA sees Mr Cohen's posts of alleged "brown-nosing" etc. and denigrating them and their other officials in that manner - for they may feel the need to haul him up before the Committee Beak.

I have heard of others carpeted for much less...
Feel free to screenshot it and send it to them, doesn't bother me. If they want to fly me home to charge, they're more than welcome to! I'm currently deciding as to whether I even wish to renew my membership for the upcoming season. The only thing that's persuading me to do so is that if I ever decide to return to the whistle life, I'm not sitting a BRC again. Although, I'd be far more likely to follow your suit Zebra, having played and coached in BAFANL for 2 years

Is that possible because I thought you would need marks from March to Feb and Aug to Feb isnt enough?
If you achieve AA in first season (Sept-Mar) and all the additional criteria are good, then you can be promoted from 4-3 straight away

Why is it that once again you openly slag off other officials but when it comes your way you immediately put the defences up and attempt to shoot people down for having a go at you. Then you start bragging about how wonderful your life is blah blah blah.

You chose to demote yourself due to not wanting to brown nose, but having seen similar situations in my career I find people who choose to use this excuse are bitter because they have been overlooked and then decide said others could only have been promoted through brown nosing rather than actually earning it. Not saying that's always the case but seen it happen enough times.

I feel I should probably step in at this point and offer a request to pause for the cause. The old adage - each to their own, seems moot here. Dan has his thoughts forged from experience and others will have theirs. You are all right/wrong depending on your own points of view and beliefs. Let us not descend into arguments. Discussion is healthy, arguments make jesus cry (other weeping deities are also available).

:)

I literally have no idea how @DanCohen17 is a staff member here - all he actually does is openly try to mug people off and gloat about everything - then close the thread when he realises his talking out of his derriere.

on a better note ... and changing the current tone ... well done to all of those that have been promoted ! brown nose or not ... well deserved

No problem SM - I just want to clarify - my comment about the FA picking up on stuff like that wasn't a threat at all on my part but just a friendly word of guidance for ALL persons.

I have seen a colleague of mine in another County carpeted by his CFA for posting stuff like that online - and it did count against him in the long run. A situation I do not wish anyone to be subjected to...

I literally have no idea how @DanCohen17 is a staff member here - all he actually does is openly try to mug people off and gloat about everything - then close the thread when he realises his talking out of his derriere.

on a better note ... and changing the current tone ... well done to all of those that have been promoted ! brown nose or not ... well deserved
Personally I find it both helpful and refreshing to have a wide variety of opinions and perspectives here on the forum, both in the wider membership and on the 'staff'. And whilst I certainly don't agree with everything Dan says (or the way he says it!) I think his honesty, candour and detailed knowledge of the promotion system is highly beneficial to the forum overall.

Back