A&H

Promotion.

Chris Smith

It's one thing I would like to do is get it level 3 ref. How long does it take to get promoted threw the ranks on a rough time frame,and how long did it take to get to the level you're at now?

Thanks

The Referee Store
It has been known that referees have done it in as little as 4 seasons as they have either done the 7-5 or 6-4 double jump.

It's great that you have the ambition to get as high as possible but don't put a timescale on it. It'll happen when it happens if you are deemed good enough.

Edit: I've been a level 6 for 15 years, desperate to get my 5 but it'll happen when it happens. I'm in no rush

Hi Chris

I agree with Ross, it's great to be ambitious but I've seen plenty of referees set time frames for promotion, and then become disheartened and even give up when it doesn't happen as quick as they would like. Enjoy your time at county levels, if you rush through them too quickly you don't develop enough to thrive at Supply/Contrib.

As an example, it took me two and a half years from turning 16 (becoming Level 7) to get Level 4, but as Ross described above, I did 6-4 jump. You then need to be promoted again to level 3, but there are over 1000 level 4s and only 74 were promoted last year, so there's quite a bottleneck!

2009: qualified.
2011: promoted to L6 (double jump part 1)
2012: promoted to L5 (double jump part 2)
2013: promoted to L4
2014: 2nd season at L4
2015: promoted to L3

That's good going. What's been said above is exactly how I'd put it. Don't set timescales to get there..set yourself a promotion each season. This gives you targets to meet and that keeps the interest going. I'm going for L4 this season which is where I want to get to..anything more than that would be a bonus as it gets harder and harder due to big numbers and little spaces!!

It's great that you have the ambition to get as high as possible but don't put a timescale on it. It'll happen when it happens if you are deemed good enough.

Edit: I've been a level 6 for 15 years, desperate to get my 5 but it'll happen when it happens. I'm in no rush

Similar sort of thing for me - I'd love a crack at Level 4 but so far other factors have prevented that from happening. A case of one day, but not today. Not a lack of ambition, but a recognition of life!

Back