A&H

Promotion list

The Referee Store
I know a few of the guys gone from 2B-2A, and a decent number from 3-2B and while some of them are decent refs, there are inevitably some that game the system. My experience, and backed up from checking the MOAS appointments for some of the guys from my cohort, is that they all get the same observers (or perhaps another way, they all seem to avoid the observers that everyone knows won't 'look after' you). This is without fail applicable to 3 of the promoted L3s this season.

The FA need to get rid of the overarching 'luck' element of getting the right observer on the right game. Plenty of ways to do this, one obvious one being allowing referees to disregard one or two marks in the season. Make it a fixed number of observations in a season, but allow for the option to do an extra one. They also have the stats, could easily adjust marks based on the observer's statistical average, the club's league position, literally anything. they have hundreds of data points to make it more accurate.

I have no real dog in this fight, I'm happy being mid-table and don't want to progress, but the system is clearly geared towards individuals who are 'doing well', otherwise one of them would surely get Mr X at some point in the season....

Not many going from 4 to 3 across the country (only 60 in total)
Agree with James L, really surprised to see very few in the South get 2b
Is it me or do the higher Observer marks in the north (allegedly!) mean there is more promotions from those parts of the country?

Not many going from 4 to 3 across the country (only 60 in total)
Agree with James L, really surprised to see very few in the South get 2b
Is it me or do the higher Observer marks in the north (allegedly!) mean there is more promotions from those parts of the country?
Most Level 3 Refs I've encountered have bemoaned this North/South divide in Marks
I can't comment on whether there's any truth in it. Let's hope The FA employ a Statistician, because such a discrepancy would be alarming to say the least

Most Level 3 Refs I've encountered have bemoaned this North/South divide in Marks
I can't comment on whether there's any truth in it. Let's hope The FA employ a Statistician, because such a discrepancy would be alarming to say the least
I think it is related to the old system where referees in the North tended to referee step 5 games, whereas in the South they were mainly on step 3 and 4. Now that has been standardised I suspect we'll start to see the imbalance even out over time.

The FA have access to a range of statistics and a huge amount of time and effort is carried out behind the scenes.
Observer reports are being reviewed constantly and anomalies in marking standards, if any, will come out of that process.
Remember that with promotion to 2b the question of geography is one of the factors to be considered in addition to marks, administration, etc.

Unsure about those that are questioning promotions of individuals on here obviously but I can say with absolute certainty that Paul Collier and Will Payne were 2 of the best level 4s I've lined for and now with in the South West and their promotions prove to me that something about the system must be good.

Obviously there's plenty of bad things that go on too but reassuring to see good refs rewarded.

Unsure about those that are questioning promotions of individuals on here obviously but I can say with absolute certainty that Paul Collier and Will Payne were 2 of the best level 4s I've lined for and now with in the South West and their promotions prove to me that something about the system must be good.

Obviously there's plenty of bad things that go on too but reassuring to see good refs rewarded.
I've had similar experiences in the South West. Both Ryan Cornelius and Aiden Madden are top notch referees and also thoroughly good blokes.

However, I have also lined for one of the mid season 4-3 referees this season and was far from impressed!

Opinions can differ game to game. I’ve been on the line for 1 the referees going 4-3 who’s been mentioned highly in this thread, however in that game I saw nothing special and thought he half arsed it. It was obviously just an off day when I saw him. It’s a long season after all and we’re probably lucky to see the same referee more than twice

Back