A&H

Promotion - how's it going?

J-K

Level 5 Referee
3 weeks until the end of the promotion season, how's it going for you?

Last night was my 5th assessment, I'm reasonably sure they are good enough for promotion from 5 to 4. Saturday's development point from the assessor was to make sure the substitutions are exactly on the halfway line, and to not look at the ball in the air, look at the players.

That was my 28th game of the promotion year, 18th middle (including 1 cup final and 1 cup semi final), 10 assistant roles. I have three middles pencilled in, including my third under lights and one league cup semi.

Fitness is best it's ever been, last two games I've complete 6 miles+ (~10k), I don't have to pace myself as much now.

I'm going to be gutted when I don't get promoted!

The Referee Store
if I can offer some advice... match fitness is very different from fitness test fitness. You need to get some track time in and make sure you are hitting 2650 in 12 minutes every single time. Also make sure your sprints are up to scratch as well.

One personal point of concern is that you've only done 28 games in a year. In my average seasons I was fitting in at least 55 games and some seasons 85 games.

I hope the rest of the season goes well for you.

I know what you mean, I just about managed the 2600 last year, but I've vastly increased my running training since and changed the format too.

I should get to 31 matches, with 11 postponed fixtures, combined that with only getting one or two midweek fixtures a month.

How many leagues were you juggling to get to that many games?

I know what you mean, I just about managed the 2600 last year, but I've vastly increased my running training since and changed the format too.

I should get to 31 matches, with 11 postponed fixtures, combined that with only getting one or two midweek fixtures a month.

Two leagues and taking every cup game offered to me as well as academy games at three local professional clubs

Badger all the appointment secretaries you know if any of them have got a spare middle or two going, in case any of your current ones get postponed for any reason. You'd be kicking yourself if you were a middle short come March 1st!

I've done 24 middles and 12 lines, just had my 4th assessment today. Seemed positive enough but the game was a nothing match but got praised for my fitness and positioning so will hopefully pick up some marks there. When you have an easy game it is almost impossible to get the bonus points in AoL and MC.

Fitness is one of my strongest points, I completed 3,200m in the fitness test in May last year and I am in pretty good shape, I just hope the assessments are enough to get me through. I'm averaging 76 from the first 3.

Keep digging deep for them last few middles, would be a kick in the teeth if you missed out because of something daft like that

Saturday was my 20th middle (and I have 11 lines in the bag).

Having posted the OP I subsequently received two reports both with marks (for the first time this season). One of the marks was a 68.5, I had a 2 on match control.

2. Match Control:

This was an extremely difficult pitch and you decided to play the game. It was very muddy and difficult and frustrating for the players. You had seven cautions. Two cautions to the home team (a foul tackle and the other for kicking the ball away) and five cautions to the away team (two for dissent,two for foul tackles and one for adopting an aggressive attitude). All were correct in law.

Partly due to the heavy pitch you should have been stronger and tighter with fouls. Players were regularly not taking the ball safely and cleanly. Also, studs up became a problem. A tighter control of fouls, particularly bearing in mind the conditions, was needed.

In the 27th minute of the first half you missed your assistant flagging for a foul to the away team, near to the home team penalty area. He waved for 5 to 10 seconds before the players were able to draw your attention to the flag. You went over and spoke to the assistant and then came back and gave an offside free kick to the defence. Players argued loudly and you went back and spoke to the assistant again. You returned to the centre of the pitch and now changed your decision to a free kick to the attacking away team. We discussed this in the dressing room after the game. It appears that you misunderstood, or misheard your assistant the first time that you spoke to him. The situation undermined you with players.

I thought the 2 was a bit harsh. I thought I had control of the game (and dealt with the tackles), the first caution was for the skipper who won the ball but his follow through was way to heavy for me, making it a reckless tackle. I had one more for the same team (who lost 6-0) with an overly heavy follow though.

The adopting an aggressive attitude came in the 90th minute (at 6-0 down) after the home player (despite being 6-0 up at the end of the game and having conceded a foul 80 yards from his own goal) kicked the ball away.

The away team didn't want to play the game, it was incredibly muddy and a bit soft in places, but I was happy it was safe, at no point did I lose my footing or feel I might do myself an injury, neither teams' physios entered the FOP to treat any players. I had one player walk off after taking a hard shot to the ribs and was badly winded but that was it.

The problem with the missing a flag I could do with some advice on. I'm not young (40) but was significantly less experienced than my two officials (this is my 5th season), one assistant was older and passive, the other was older and less so.

There was a body to body collision, the attacker had shifter the ball and then collided with the defender, it was 10 yards from the assistant, 15-20 yards from me. I was happy that the defender couldn't get out of the way, the ball went forward to a player who I thought was offside, the assistant's flag went up, I blew for offside.

At this point the angry attacker charged over to me to protest, going too far, so get the book out with the intention of a caution for dissent while trying to calm the player down. At this point I notice the assistant flagging.

I jog over and we have a chat, he was flagging for the foul, I saw his agitate his flag originally but missed it, as I was expecting an offside. He explains what he saw I say what I saw and stupidly I let him change my mind. I reversed my decision and gave the foul. I also decided to not caution the player as my original decision was "wrong", so his reaction was almost fair.

I realised that missing the flag gave me a huge problem which I tried to correct with the final decision.

I think the assessor's other point about managing the game and the challenges wasn't right. I was happy with the challenges, gave FKs where needed and cautioned as appropriate, I kept control of the game to allow it to go ahead, I kept the players safe enough.

I do have to consider whether to change my approach to studs up. Generally, if a player challenges with studs up, is safe and doesn't change how the opponent is challenging for the ball I let it go. Maybe I need to blow up for any studs up challenge near an opponent.

Any ideas?

It's quite often difficult to slide tackle without some form of studs up action, so that might not be the best barometer to use. It's normally a case of whether the tackle is aggressive, at speed, the foot is in the air, etc. Kind of "you'll know it if you see it".

It sounds like your interpretation above is ok, and maybe assess the viewing angle you are getting on such tackles as it could be you are not seeing them in the correct way because of your position? Just an idea. Or alternatively the assessor just wanted you to clamp down on all slide tackles given the conditions.

A 2 is a poor score to get on Match Control as it loses you 6 points off standard. Sounds like you've done well in other areas to keep the score where it is, so see the positive if you can. As an aside, your op said you'd already had 5 assessments so assume this was one of those. What's your average score, you should get told all of your marks after every assessment??

My RDO kindly arrange a sixth assessment for last Sat. I had a really good game and had an email from my RDO saying the assessor had scored me at 80 which takes me comfortably above 73. Phew.

My GPS watch said I'd covered 6.3 miles in the game which was a personal best.

Good for you. Well done.

I'm averaging 76 from 4 assessments, so 1 left. I have 2 fixtures this weekend, both with NARs so I am assuming/hoping that I get assessed on one of them, the deadline is Monday...

I'm trying 6-5 this season.
I've been assessed 4 times now (don't ask) and have been fine on all areas apart from twice being marked down for "positioning and movement".
I won't know for sure until next week if the "panel" have decided to promote me but I'm hopeful. If I don't get promoted this season, I'm not going to bother trying a second time. :)

That's the never die spirit mate! :)

LOL. I know what you mean Secret Mate, but frankly, I just couldn't be arsed to go through the whole assessment procedure thing again next season. The weather has taken it's toll on so many games this year, which meant me (and others in the same boat) never really knowing if I was:
a. Going to get the required number of matches/lines in....
and
b. Going to actually get an assessor at at least 3 of my matches.

I referee because I love the game and for the enjoyment it gives me. Being a Level 5 won't change how I feel, how I perform from match to match, or even my fee. :D I only did it this season because I'm 50 later this year and considered it a sort of "milestone" if you like. I've no aspiration to progress to Level 4 or beyond. If it happens and they promote me - great. If not, ah well...... :)

Reactions: SM
I've done everything....

Matches wise I think I'm completely fine!
6 to 5 I was Above Standard, Above Standard and Standard
5 to 4 I've got 75, 74, 74.

I've also got average club marks in high 80's.

Everything else done.....just the waiting to go through now! Our County tells you first week of May....what's everyone else's do?

Reliably informed that this year is the first year in a while where even if you meet the 5-4 criteria and are put forward by the county FA you won't necessarily be promoted. The FA currently have too many L4s in some areas and this is their way of limiting numbers alongside stricter demotion criteria. Good luck to all those going for it though, I hope it happens for you!

True, but as you say there are stricter demotion criteria which I've been told means that more L4s will be demoted based on E-E, D-E criteria. I understood the idea was to have greater "churn" in the system.

Who knows, currently I'm going to be relying on club marks as I'm one short, which is incredibly frustrating as I've had 5 fixtures in the last 2 weeks I could have been assessed on.

Reliably informed that this year is the first year in a while where even if you meet the 5-4 criteria and are put forward by the county FA you won't necessarily be promoted. The FA currently have too many L4s in some areas and this is their way of limiting numbers alongside stricter demotion criteria. Good luck to all those going for it though, I hope it happens for you!
Not that long. It's only about 4-5 years since not all nominated got up.

May well have screwed the pooch on my assessment today. Game went by fine in of itself - assessor picked me up on a caution which he felt wasn't a caution (plus some other points). Wait and see what the assessment report actually says, but not holding out a lot of hope.

Oh well. c'est la vie :) Wait for the report, work on the development points, be better next time.

Do you happen to know which parts of the country are already well covered by their existing L4 population and which parts are most in need of new blood?

Back