A&H

Promotion and 6-5 6-4

Sheff Ref

Level 6 Referee
Hi all,

I am just wanting to understand the differences between going 6 to 5 and 6 to 4.
Also, generally what are the realistic differences between being a level 5 and a level 4.

Nothing like learning from the experience of others :)

Thanks in advance for your responses and I wish a merry Christmas and happy new year to all!

The Referee Store
In my county you can quite easily referee in level 12 of the pyramid as a level 7, 6 or 5. I haven't moved at all from where I was as a L7.
Once promoted to L4 you referee on level 11 (at least) of the pyramid and will have your own ARs every week.
Different in every CFA I would imagine.
I couldn't even get adult football as a L6 when I refereed in your county ShefRef.

Hi all,

I am just wanting to understand the differences between going 6 to 5 and 6 to 4.
Also, generally what are the realistic differences between being a level 5 and a level 4.

Nothing like learning from the experience of others :)

Thanks in advance for your responses and I wish a merry Christmas and happy new year to all!
I couldn't be more against the 6-4 double jump. I did and it's the biggest mistake I ever made!
That extra year refereeing at Step 6 (football pyramid below FL) and lining at Step 5 is a key part of the development. There is no rush, that extra year is easily made up later on.

Hi all,

Moving to L4 puts you in the middle of a supply league. Depending what leagues you are assigned to, the range of football can be hugh. Also, you would require to act as AR on a contrib league. You will normally due 2 AR a month (possibly mid week) and referee at other times.

As a L4 you would get assessed on 4 or 5 of your middles in the season. And have to pass the fitness test before promotion.

L4 means a commitment to football. It is rewarding but can be demanding.

That extra year refereeing at Step 6 (football pyramid below FL) and lining at Step 5 is a key part of the development..

Step 6 refereeing as a L5?
I've never even ran a line in Step 6?
Obviously I'm not as good as I thought I was :cry:

Step 6 refereeing as a L5?
I've never even ran a line in Step 6?
Obviously I'm not as good as I thought I was :cry:
Depends what leagues you are involved in. Supply leagues are Step 5 and you're required to line minimum of 5 games in 5-4 promotion scheme.
In addition, to go for 5-4, you need to be refereeing one step below with NAR's. Get involved in your local Supply league by speaking to the ref sec of the league!

@lincs22, not quite true at the moment due to the shortage of L4's. Over the course of a month, L4's are far more likely to do considerably more lines than middles.
The L4 middle requirements (in order to successfully gain promotion to L3) are a minimum of 10 games, with a minimum of 5 assessed (this varies in the country depending on County availability). The FA have first call on all L4's for their fixtures (Contrib, u21 & u18) before Supply League.

In York, the same league operates with its Prem Div being the supply league. Going for 5-4 promotion will be done without NAR's.

Dan, I was trying to explain what was the expected. With the need for L4 for contributed and closed dates, it is likely to be only 1 middle a month.

Depends what leagues you are involved in. Supply leagues are Step 5 and you're required to line minimum of 5 games in 5-4 promotion scheme.
In addition, to go for 5-4, you need to be refereeing one step below with NAR's. Get involved in your local Supply league by speaking to the ref sec of the league!

@lincs22, not quite true at the moment due to the shortage of L4's. Over the course of a month, L4's are far more likely to do considerably more lines than middles.
The L4 middle requirements (in order to successfully gain promotion to L3) are a minimum of 10 games, with a minimum of 5 assessed (this varies in the country depending on County availability). The FA have first call on all L4's for their fixtures (Contrib, u21 & u18) before Supply League.
Dan, the Supply League primarily based in my County is Step 7. The NCEL, where Howard Webb made his Supply League debut is a Step 6 at Supply and Step 5 at Contrib.

Dan, the Supply League primarily based in my County is Step 7. The NCEL, where Howard Webb made his Supply League debut is a Step 6 at Supply and Step 5 at Contrib.
Think that's a lot more common up North from what I heard from officials & those in charge. Can only talk about my experiences as L4 (in London) and the games I did while up North (one in Leeds & one in Manchester)

I think it has to be your decision, I've done it this season and by all accounts it has been a successful season. The one thing I will say is that you must feel 100% ready for it, any lingering doubts and I'd avoid it. It is a massive step up from L6 standard!

I once met a level 3 referee who did a triple jump! 7-4.

He admits he shouldn't have done it. In fact, I don't think any county does it now.

And I would certainly agree with him! Triple jump is far too much. Double jump? Completely possible and many have done it.

I know someone who did a triple from 7-4 and he was lucky to survive it. I regularly see those who have gone 6-4 and they are very often way out of their depth. One step at a time. After all those that are being pushed along this path often have 30 years refereeing in front of them, so what's the rush?

I know someone who did a triple from 7-4 and he was lucky to survive it. I regularly see those who have gone 6-4 and they are very often way out of their depth. One step at a time. After all those that are being pushed along this path often have 30 years refereeing in front of them, so what's the rush?

It's the yoof of today.....they want everything right now....

Cheers Brian, obviously I want to be the best I can be and reach as higher level as possible but I know it's not going to be given to me on a plate. I'm still young and inexperienced so I've got to put a lot of work in to get there.

Back