A&H

Problems with club assistant

Quarryref

A problem today with a club assistant. In this case a substitute running the line. Before the game, I gave my usual instructions which include leaving fouls to me, not because I don' t trust them, but because it causes problems. Never had any club official have problems with that instruction and none today. Problem was when he raised his flag and told me a player had called him a cheat and he was 'very offended'. I didn't hear and he didn't think I had. I explained I can only give what I hear, but spoke to the player and told him what would happen if I heard that word. After the game, he berated me for not sending the player off, accusing me of calling him a lier. I explained patiently that wasn't the case and that what I had done was consistent with my pre match instruction. He then played the 'I'm a qualified referee and I would have supported you if you had been my assistant' card. I still think my policy is the only safe one, particularly with substitute officials who don't require any qualification. The alternative seems to me too problematic, but interested if anyone has a different approach ? Clearly if it had been a neutral official, red card no question.

The Referee Store
They always say that there referees but yes if you did not hear it you cannot do nothing

+1 to Craig's response (as 'edited by Haywain!). Sounds to me like you handled it perfectly. One of my CARs today (also, obviously a qualified referee :rolleyes:) was deeply offended by my overruling one of his offside 'decisions' .. even though I agreed with him on the other twenty or so :)

Didn't mean to be grammar police, craig, just couldn't resist it

Thanks for the like ;)

lol....the "I'm a qualified referee" is usually given back with "I'm a qualified player of forty years or so, and today you were a substitute helping me out, which is much appreciated, but as qualified ref, you will understand that I can only give what I see or hear"

Surely players aren't qualified, they're either amateurs or professionals.

As that sub, I'd be thinking, 'what a d...' ;)

really?

you'd need a good gynacholegist to remove the teeth from your arse if you done that in Essex, even 'with a smile on your face'

Reactions: ELP
Proctologist I believe is the word youre groping for Charlie. :D

Your good lady should never, ever let you book health apts for her!

really?

you'd need a good gynacholegist to remove the teeth from your arse if you done that in Essex, even 'with a smile on your face'

In my experience of refereeing in essex any time you try and make light of a situation by saying something with a smile on my face I'll either get called a c word, told to F off or be told my mums a sket.

Can't take a CARs word on the fact he'd been called a cheat... send the guy off and try putting that in your report. You'll be marched in front of county in a matter of days.

Back