A&H

Preparing for the match

maidenmullet

Hi,

I have been appointed my first match to referee on Sunday.

Does anyone have any tips/pointers to help me prepare myself?

Many thanks!

The Referee Store
Have you not been appointed a mentor?
If his league are struggling like mine is, that may well not be the case. I didn't get a mentor until my 5th game and it was very lucky he became available at late notice anyway.

To the OP, just triple check you have all your equipment and kit the night before, and refresh yourself on any rules you're not sure about. For me I have to carry a cheat sheet for the sin bins as I keep forgetting what some scenarios mean.

Above all there will likely be some nerves, those should disappear a few minutes into the game as you'll be focused on it. Don't worry if you feel you've made a mistake at any stage, letting that linger in your mind during the game can only lead to further mistakes, just reflect on it all after the game :)

Go out and enjoy your game
Confidence in your knowledge of the laws of the game was a big thing for me starting out (Back in the year dot)
Also be confident that the call you are making on any give incident is the right one

Above all enjoy your game on Sunday and Mid let us all know how it went

This should have been covered on your course. Some counties appoint centrally, some have local Mentor Appointments Officers, some arrange via local branches of the Referees Association.
I did my course in another county to where I am registered. I’ll speak to the RDO at my local Fa. Unfortunately my area doesn’t have an RA. Nearest one is again in the other counties surrounding.

FFS!! Not much of a mentor then are they? 🙄
What age are you and what league are you officiating on? 🙂
I am currently 16 and I am going to be refereeing in the youth league so from U13-U16 however, I am waiting for some matches within the girls league too.

Back