A&H

Pre-Match Procedure

So, you've warned the players about swearing, what do you when they start swearing?
So the words I use at the start are carefully chosen to give me wiggle room. If the swearing becomes too loud or said in an unacceptable manner I usually remind the player, then next time involve the captain and then finally direct action. All of this can change dependent on the proximity of children's play areas etc.

The Referee Store
So the words I use at the start are carefully chosen to give me wiggle room. If the swearing becomes too loud or said in an unacceptable manner I usually remind the player, then next time involve the captain and then finally direct action. All of this can change dependent on the proximity of children's play areas etc.

So what is your "direct action"?

Also, what is your approach to swearing when there is no childrens play area?

I don't like this whole "pre-match talk with the players" thing. They should already know what is expected and the chances of them listening to me are pretty slim.

I think the point Anthony makes in the latest post is absolutely vital for any pre-match "chat"; give yourself "wriggle room".

Do not say, if "x" happens, I will do "y" because you'll create a real problem for yourself. Limit yourself to saying what you want (e.g. No swearing at an opponent) without saying what you'll do about it.

That's "wriggle room"

Yeah fair enough but the most wiggle room is given when you don't have the chat at all.
We are heading down a cul de sac I fear. I am setting out boundaries so everyone is clear where I may take action. I am doing it to avoid "the ref last week didn't care etc etc etc".
A player who does not listen is likely to be a player that will cause us problems anyway but I am attempting to pro actively manage the majority and alleviate potential clashes. So, no chat equals no idea what is expected = surprises and we all know how hard we should try to avoid those. How much more proof do we all need that players/managers have no idea of the LOTG therefore a quick pre match chat should not be optional. Not to teach them all 17 but real basics.

So what is your "direct action"?

Also, what is your approach to swearing when there is no childrens play area?
Play areas etc I wrote. House in the local vicinity, public footpaths etc etc etc. I try and be reasonable and practical and the surroundings will dictate the speed and severity of my reaction to most swearing. Direct action = yellow/red card.

Play areas etc I wrote. House in the local vicinity, public footpaths etc etc etc. I try and be reasonable and practical and the surroundings will dictate the speed and severity of my reaction to most swearing. Direct action = yellow/red card.

Ok....what offence are you cautioning for when show a yellow card for a player swearing?

Back