A&H

pre match - goal/no goal

Sheff Ref

Level 6 Referee
I was looking to update my pre match and got as far as goal/no goal situations.

Goal - easy enough if clear, AR runs to half way.

If unclear but AR is confident, irritate flag then run to half way

No goal - it is here I am unsure as to the best procedure to follow. Presumably the ball would still be in play but one team will be celebrating. I assume a discreet signal then shout 'No goal, play on' but wanted to take advice from learned colleagues :)

Cheers

The Referee Store
Firstly, I can't tell if this is CARs or NARS.

CARs = Never give them the option of giving goals. Too much hassle.

NARs = My instructions generally go along the lines of.

"With goal or no goal, get to position as quick as possible for your own credibility. If you are sure the ball has crossed the line, and I haven't seen it, flag, wait for my acknowledgement (whistle) sprint up the FOP. No goal, stand your ground. Shake your head if wanted. We'll get on with the game."

As SM says flags goes up like for offside, do not agitate then at starts the run. If not just carry on in normal fashion. I would be asking for a clear but discrete hand signal below the waist, it's up to you ( ie. Thumbs down, horizontal hand and a bit of a shake) but something obvious that couldn't mean anything else and it would need to be in the pre match talk.

NARs = My instructions generally go along the lines of.

"With goal or no goal, get to position as quick as possible for your own credibility. If you are sure the ball has crossed the line, and I haven't seen it, flag, wait for my acknowledgement (whistle) sprint up the FOP. No goal, stand your ground. Shake your head if wanted. We'll get on with the game."

Only change would for the NAR not to sprint...
If they move too quickly, the players may not realise what a good position the NAR was in to give the decision.

Only change would for the NAR not to sprint...
If they move too quickly, the players may not realise what a good position the NAR was in to give the decision.

Very fair point Lincs!

Firstly, I can't tell if this is CARs or NARS.

CARs = Never give them the option of giving goals. Too much hassle.

Why take that away? If there's a situation where the ball crosses the line, players cheer/appeal and you're not best placed to see the ball cross the line as referee by looking at your CAR he/she will be on the line and will have hopefully seen whether it has gone in or out. I've had situations where CARs have given a goal a few times. They're giving a goal against their team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good point by jacko there, of they are to give the goal it's against own team so can't exactly be biased. It's not as if you can't give it if you think it's in

Back