A&H

Pre Match Boot Check

micky2001

Just wondering what exactly you look for in a players boots before a match and what you would do if they had studs missing?

The Referee Store
With regards to checking studs your looking for rugby studs which are dangerous and not allowed (http://www.lovell-rugby.co.uk/products/17923.jpg)
I don't think that a missing stud is covered, and anyhow not many players wear screw in studs they tend to have fancy boots nowadays that cost like £100+, especially the junior players

Rugby studs are fine in football aren't they, I always thought it was the other way round because rugby studs are much safer than football ones?

The only reason I asked is because there is nothing in the LOTG saying what is suitable footwear and I can say from experience in football and in rugby that rugby studs are far safer than any others :)

Got to say I've stopped doing boot checks for lower level games. It just seems pointless most boots are covered in mud so you can't tell anyway.

When you're doing a pre-match boot check you are looking for anything sharp or dangerous which could cause harm to other players

Your looking for anything dangous, so sharp ect. Or any damage to the studs which could cause injury to the opposition or the player themselves. Also worn down studs are not allowed.

I know football studs are not allowed in rugby but not sure the other way round. Will say though they do slow you down so don't think players would use them much.

Metal studs can get sharp. My old rugby coach recently told me the same about non metal studs. They aren't allowed in rugby due to the same reasons.

I'll be buggered if I know what's right and what's not

The studs/blades should be safe for use which means no rough edges or anything likely to cause a danger to other players.

Regarding missing studs, you wouldn't want anyone to drive a car with a wheel missing, so why let them play football with a stud missing? The boot is designed for use with a full set of studs and therefore should be regarded as unsafe if one is missing

TBH, I never knew there was a difference between rugby and football studs. As long as they're not sharp or a danger to others, I'd let it go.

As far as a missing stud is concerned, again, unless the empty socket has sharp edges I wouldn't have thought it would be dangerous.

I always check boots so make sure it's done because otherwise if assessor watching on another field they go ew this referee forgot to check studs naughty naughty

Frankly, the main reason for doing a boot check at lower level is to clear your name in case anything happens - you've done your bit so you can't be blamed. As far as I know rugby studs are not allowed, and apart from that, unless someone has razor blades on their feet I won't say they can't play.

I am 99% sure that rugby studs are fine and I use them when I am playing and refing and when I am playing rugby because it is easier then swapping them all of the time.

Back