A&H

Pre match advice

BES

I am not a new ref, but my first game of this season this sat I will have NARs for the first time.

I have acted as an assistant many times but not had to do the whole pre match chat before.

I am sure there are previous threads on this site but has anyone got some advice or document to make sure I don't miss anything and potentially give myself any trouble.

Cheers

The Referee Store
Make sure you cover everything, no matter how obvious it may seem, in the pre-match instructions. You will have heard the pre-match chats from referees you have worked with, so pick out the best bits and ignore bits that don't work for the way you referee.

Things that are vital ...
- penalty decisions - who leads, what do you want your assistants to do
- what happens if there is mass confrontation, who does what

Everything else if important, but these are the things that absolutely must be covered. The last thing you want is your assistant signalling for a penalty when you are 100% certain it wasn't and you had the better angle.

The last thing you want is your assistant signalling for a penalty when you are 100% certain it wasn't and you had the better angle.

And sometimes they'll do that anyway, even if your pre-match instructions expressly state NOT to do it! Caused me no end of problems last Saturday. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I had two quite inexperienced NARs last night, maybe 10 games on the line between them. There are a lot of things to talk about - but I made the effort not to talk AT them. And I strung it out so I wasn't bombarding them. And I got them talking - I wanted to know if they were competent and I got a good idea of their weaknesses by asking them what they want to improve on. I only had 30 mins pre match at this level so some economy required;)

Personally I always start with the things that are specific to me and for the division and for these teams - usually in the dressing room. The things that they won't have heard before. They get to know me a bit and we get to talk about the teams and how intense we think the match will be. (Specifically, how to handle argumentative players as an AR, and how to handle mass con and, in particular the benches if there is a mass con.)

Before and after the warm up we go into the on pitch things. I always finish with goal/no goal and the importance of remembering to get to the goal line as appropriate to make decisions - because I think that is one of the hardest things to do naturally as an inexperienced AR.

For beginners, the message I bang home over and over again, about every aspect, is to take your time. Wait and see, look for me, signal together, think first, nice and calm, nice and neat.

The things I leave out for beginners are in the box/out of the box decision signalling and signalling cards. These are very advanced IMHO. I tell the ARs that any important decisions like this I am going to come and talk to them if there is any doubt. I want them focused on basic decision making - ball in/out, offside, fouls with me - and overall concentration.

There are some incredibly detailed pre-match lists on this site (search for Brian's).

The link that James has posted is quite comprehensive. You will end up adapting certain things to suit your style and method.

Back