A&H

Porto vs. Lyon

The Referee Store
Not handball imo

if we quote the actual law, a player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their arm/hand is not a consequence/justified by the players body movement for that specific situation,

the hand-arm is exactly where it should be imo.

Not handball imo

if we quote the actual law, a player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their arm/hand is not a consequence/justified by the players body movement for that specific situation,

the hand-arm is exactly where it should be imo.
I do not agree with cause when the is headed by the defender his arm is not open, is along his body. is when he open his arm that he touches the ball LE fcp x lyon penalti mao braco paqueta2.JPG

At full speed, with one look at it on our next match, I think 99% of us are pointing to the spot here.

Agreed with 90% consensus that this should have been a handball offence.
As ever no comms means we don't know how the check unfolded.

Seems to be an easy handball call. Actually appears to lean into the ball with his arm as well.

Look at slides 30 and 31. Plus with what we saw from the goal scored in Wolves vs Man United. There seems to be a lot of weight placed on the player playing the ball into their own arm even if it's extended from the body.

This is probably why the VAR didn't get involved. I'd argue the distance the ball came, the movement of the arm into the ball and how far extended the arm is from the body would outweigh the self play, but this isn't the first time that UEFA VARs have said something like this isn't a clear error.

Surely arm-position doesn't matter here.
As we all know from some recent high-profile EPL interpretations, if even a sliver of the ball (possibly) grazes the arm anywhere above the armpit, t-shirt-line, elbow*, it isn't handball anyway!
:rolleyes:

*PS - By the time you read this post it may have changed to be 'anywhere above the wrist' - it is called handball after all! ;)

Surely arm-position doesn't matter here.
As we all know from some recent high-profile EPL interpretations, if even a sliver of the ball (possibly) grazes the arm anywhere above the armpit, t-shirt-line, elbow*, it isn't handball anyway!
:rolleyes:

*PS - By the time you read this post it may have changed to be 'anywhere above the wrist' - it is called handball after all! ;)
Did someone let @bloovee create a 2nd account? 😂

Look at slides 30 and 31. Plus with what we saw from the goal scored in Wolves vs Man United. There seems to be a lot of weight placed on the player playing the ball into their own arm even if it's extended from the body.

This is probably why the VAR didn't get involved. I'd argue the distance the ball came, the movement of the arm into the ball and how far extended the arm is from the body would outweigh the self play, but this isn't the first time that UEFA VARs have said something like this isn't a clear error.
Yes this. We had a classroom sesh on hb the other day and the last clips were players playing the ball so that it hit their own hand in an unnatural position.

We were informed that FIFA and UEFA disagree in interpretations and guidance on this - and that explains some strange looking decisions like this one.

I think slides 30 and 31 are great examples of arms that are in natural positions for what the player was doing. I just don’t find this conceptually difficult at all. Law 12 is very clear that the question is whether the player is unnaturally bigger as measured against what is natural for what he is doing. sometimes deciding what is natural is more challenging. I think what deflections/plays by the player do is suggest that the player was not making himself unnaturally bigger, as it usually doesn’t make sense when the player is doing something else to play the ball—if I’m kicking the ball, my arms are just going where they need to be for that;I’m not going to be unnatur putting them somewhere to take up space in the hopes the ball hits it.

Back