A&H

Players leaving the field of play after stopping play for an injury

Nath75

Nath Dorset Grassroots Ref
Is anybody able to clarify the correct course of action regards players leaving the pitch when you have stopped play for a injured player.

This was Sunday league, so no physio as such, but allowed players additional time to recover from an injury, usually down to tripping themselves, poor pitch conditions or football contact if you get my drift. No yellow card or red card offences and not caused in my opinion by a foul. One of the teams was arguing that they didn't need to leave the field of play as they had kicked the ball out for a throw as their player was down injured.

I have looked at the other advice points 5 and 6 at the end of the current IFAB Laws of the game and although not technically a physio coming on the pitch, they tend to just allow the player to pick himself up, have a stretch and shake it off, however as the stoppage is in general far longer than the 20-25 secs mentioned in the advice notes, I ask them to leave the field and try to allow them back on after the next passage of play.

Am I correct, eager to learn before my 1st observation on a promotion season.

The Referee Store
The player has to leave once you have authorised treatment, there is no time limit on it. Ask them if they want treatment, if they say yes wave someone on (even if that someone is a manager or sub, every club should have at least a first aid kit), once you've done that they need to leave unless the challenge that caused the injury was punished by a caution. If they say no give them a few seconds to get back up, if they don't then wave someone on anyway.

I'd add to the above, if there are no subs or team officials (playing 11 or less) and the injured player is assessed/treated by an on field team mate, you can still ask for leaving the field of play. There is wiggle room there though, on a Sunday league if very quick (eg stretch of the leg for a cramp) and you know it's not to stall the game then I would ignore it.

Last edited:
Back