A&H

Pitch invader shoulder charged by player

Our leagues have club officials around. Teams also have supply one 'yellow vested' official to control their fans. In either case best to not ask players to handle it.

The closest I have ever come to a pitch invader in my games (outside of brawls ) is in park football when a passing by old lady walked diagonal across the field almost corner to corner. I stopped the game as soon as I noticed. No one dared say anything or get close to her and she took her sweet time.
I once had a bus load of "fans" turn up for a Sunday league county Cup first round game. Had about 30 fans all come. Running on when a goal was scored...

The Referee Store
We know that after the fact. How was anyone to know that as things are occurring?

This is hilarious. Do you flatten anyone who could theoretically at some future point decide to attack you? You could deck whole teams in "self defense"!

"You've laid out six blokes."
"It was self defense."
"They didn't go anywhere near you!"
"SO FAR"

She shouldn't have done it, that much is certain, but I still think a caution is supportable. He'd been on a long time and wasn't being dealt with, and we also don't know what he was saying to the players. Male players probably wouldn't feel threatened in that situation, but there is possibly an argument to say that female players would feel more uncomfortable.

In my experience they don't have anywhere near the same level of stewarding in the professional women's game as they do in the men's. Obviously the crowds are smaller, but there also seems to be an expectation there is less likely to be any bother, understandably as the crowd are much more family orientated and there is a lot less alcohol involved. I certainly can't remember ever having a pre-match safety briefing on a WSL game, whereas there were fairly common on National League games.

I'm with @RustyRef on this, given the additional context. You have the option of a red card, but that's a little too robotic for me and ignores the general sense of threat that you will get with a male supporter wandering around a woman's game with seemingly no attempt from stewards to deal with him.

A caution still says "you probably shouldn't have done that", but by not going red you're also saying "I understand why you felt like you had too and appreciate you didn't overdo it". I don't think you could get away with no sanction at all, but I think a yellow covers you enough thinking ahead to when your bosses look at the clip!

Back