A&H

Pinching an Opponent

micky2001

Was at a local park the other night doing a bit of training and stopped by the football pitches to watch a few teams train when one tactic caught my eye. Amazingly, It appeared that the manager was showing his team how to pinch each other :eek: My thinking being that at a game, they would do this to an opponent at a corner or free kick etc.

If this happened at a match, what would you be doing?

The Referee Store
This would be tricky because you would have to see it, if I saw it visibly then I would be tempted to give a yellow if I didn't see it then you can't really do anything but yes that is weird...

I was thinking if I seen it, possibly a word or a yellow for USB. Wondering if anyone would consider a red for VC?

I'm afraid to confess that I did this when I played, we called it Turkish marking, 9 times out of 10 it would lead to a well deserved elbow in the ribs by the opponent... Yellow card for USB makes sense to me, to call that 'violent' is a little farfetched

Pulling hair (especially under the arm pits) spitting and pinching were all described as 'Violent Conduct' back in the day, working on the 'last order countermands the previous one' principle, I'd have no hesitation in sending a player off if I caught them doing it.............even if he's just been punched on the nose for doing it by the victim!

It doesn't come under violent conduct in the LOTG

"A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball."

Pinching a player is brutal.

A lot of things no longer appear in the LOTG Ryan the ref, but as I said, until there's a 'new order', I'll be working to the last one given. Spitting became an offence in it's own right when the offence type groups changed from 4 to 7 several years ago.

There's no definitive list of foul language or abuse either, but we know what to use as a benchmark, the 2 'C' words being head and shoulders above all else when directed at a match official.

It was a 'Referee's Chart' when I started, and pulling hair, throwing lumps of mud at people and goalies banging opponents in the face with the ball whilst holding it were, and still are until I'm directed otherwise, offences of violent conduct to me mate.

Red card, violent conduct. All day every day. Shouldn't even be a question of it, really. Anything you would get arrested for would be VC, especially when it's off the ball.

Back