A&H

Penalty shoot out video doing the rounds

Yourereffingjoking

Level 7 Referee
You've probably seen it but there's a video clip doing the rounds again involving a pen in a shootout that cannons off the crossbar, bounces midway between the goal area and pen spot and simply spins back to cross the line whilst the keeper is off celebrating the miss and the taker is dejected.

Ref awards the goal and the team goes on to win the shootout.

This got me to thinking. .. if you award a Pen right on the final whistle and all time is up, it's a given that time is extended to allow it to be taken, but if the taker strikes the goal frame and the ball comes back towards the on rushing mass, when would you blow?

For me, I'm going at the point I know it's clear of the keeper and would need to either spin back like a Ronnie O'Sullivan snooker shot or another player needs to put it in.

What do others feel they would do?

The Referee Store
If the final whistle has yet to be blown. I am waiting for either the ball to go dead behind the goal line, in the goal or be cleared out of the area and not be about to shot straight back in!

It's only going to be a matter of seconds either way. Last thing you want is to blow and then have the ball smashed into the goal.

I had this happen to me about a month ago. I called one kick only - No rebounds, so all the players knew beforehand.

The goal was scored anyway. :cool:

If the final whistle has yet to be blown. I am waiting for either the ball to go dead behind the goal line, in the goal or be cleared out of the area and not be about to shot straight back in!

It's only going to be a matter of seconds either way. Last thing you want is to blow and then have the ball smashed into the goal.

Entirely your own choice.

I had something similar with a free kick a week or so back. Edge of the area direct the player shoots, goalkeeper punches the ball away as it's in the air, I blew for time.

The ball drops as I'm mid blow and the player shoots and scores.

Everyone knew that the free kick was bang on half time.

Same for me as Reffy, not had it happen yet but if I do I make sure that all of the players know that there are no rebounds or second shots. An easy thing to do is tell them to not bother following it in because the final whistle will blow anyway. Most people respect this and just stand there but others either forget or don't take any notice. Also telling them not to follow it in can help you sometimes with anyone entering the area before the kick is taken.

Back