A&H

Penalty Kick

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Another question from the fans messagebaord I frequent. Its quite a good one (for a non ref;))

"If a player checks his run up because the GK has moved off his line early, can the referee take action against him for doing it? If, no, does that mean he can carry on checking his run up until the GK stays on his line at the moment the ball is kicked?"

Won't reveal what I replied - yet!

The Referee Store
Law 14 states:

The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts, without touching the goalposts, crossbar or goal net, until the ball has been kicked.

Therefore the keeper has committed an offence by leaving his line before the ball is kicked - assuming that the kicker has not feinted after it is deemed his run up is complete.

However the good book does not expressly cover this scenario, as it only refers to what happens if a goal is or isn't scored. In this case some of the lawyers on here could argue that as the kick hasn't been taken you can't apply either scenario.

It also states:

if the ball misses the goal or rebounds from the crossbar or goalpost(s), the kick is only retaken if the goalkeeper’s offence clearly impacted on the kicker

My view would be that the keeper has offended before the kick has been taken and whilst it's not missed or rebounded, the GK's offence has clearly impacted on the kicker, therefore you would warn the GK for a first offence or caution for a second offence and retake the penalty kick.

I think this is a prime example of the LOTG not being able to cover every single scenario that could possibly happen, but would rely on the "What would football expect?" approach.

Another question from the fans messagebaord I frequent. Its quite a good one (for a non ref;))

"If a player checks his run up because the GK has moved off his line early, can the referee take action against him for doing it? If, no, does that mean he can carry on checking his run up until the GK stays on his line at the moment the ball is kicked?"

Won't reveal what I replied - yet!
I need to understand what checking run up means. And in the question it's not clear who 'him' is in "action against him". Assuming him referees to taker.

If checking run up means stopping before completing run up, or even after completing run up but no action that can be interpreted as feinting to kick the ball, then no issue, no action.
But any action interpreted as feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up requires IFK and caution the kicker. This is regardless of what the keeper does.

In law this would be covered under first or third case in image below. Both cases have the same outcome.

Screenshot_20210813-084507.jpg

Law 14 states:

The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts, without touching the goalposts, crossbar or goal net, until the ball has been kicked.

Therefore the keeper has committed an offence by leaving his line before the ball is kicked - assuming that the kicker has not feinted after it is deemed his run up is complete.

However the good book does not expressly cover this scenario, as it only refers to what happens if a goal is or isn't scored. In this case some of the lawyers on here could argue that as the kick hasn't been taken you can't apply either scenario.

It also states:

if the ball misses the goal or rebounds from the crossbar or goalpost(s), the kick is only retaken if the goalkeeper’s offence clearly impacted on the kicker

My view would be that the keeper has offended before the kick has been taken and whilst it's not missed or rebounded, the GK's offence has clearly impacted on the kicker, therefore you would warn the GK for a first offence or caution for a second offence and retake the penalty kick.

I think this is a prime example of the LOTG not being able to cover every single scenario that could possibly happen, but would rely on the "What would football expect?" approach.
Thanks. I read the question as the taker refusing to complete his run up because the GK has moved. I agree with you I think the thing to do is to warn the GK about the moving and tell the kicker its not his job to decide if GK has moved or not, and for them to both get on with the kick, as per LOTG.

Back