A&H

Penalty Kick and Injured player

MatthewC

Defender commits a careless foul inside his own penalty area, conceding a penalty. The attacker that was fouled (who is also the teams main penalty taker) is injured in the challenge, and requests treatment. After a quick spray from the water bottle, he springs up and requests to take the penalty. Surely he needs to leave the FOP as he has received treatment? When would he re-enter? After the penalty has been scored (assuming it is scored) and before kick off? Also, same scenario but the defender receives a caution for DOGSO. New laws state that a player can receive quick treatment and stay on for a yellow or red card challenge, but it is not the challenge that has earnt the card, but the denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

The Referee Store
The challenge caused the DOGSO....

And that's the kind of situation that this was brought in to avoid. But if it's not a caution......find a new taker!

Defender commits a careless foul inside his own penalty area, conceding a penalty. The attacker that was fouled (who is also the teams main penalty taker) is injured in the challenge, and requests treatment. After a quick spray from the water bottle, he springs up and requests to take the penalty. Surely he needs to leave the FOP as he has received treatment? When would he re-enter? After the penalty has been scored (assuming it is scored) and before kick off? Also, same scenario but the defender receives a caution for DOGSO. New laws state that a player can receive quick treatment and stay on for a yellow or red card challenge, but it is not the challenge that has earnt the card, but the denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Eh? :rolleyes:

As for the original scenario, no penalty taker is staying down and wanting treatment if it means he won't get the penalty kick himself.... Even if his leg is broken in 3 places, he'll still want the kick himself before he goes off for treatment! :D

Eh? :rolleyes:

As for the original scenario, no penalty taker is staying down and wanting treatment if it means he won't get the penalty kick himself.... Even if his leg is broken in 3 places, he'll still want the kick himself before he goes off for treatment! :D
Haha, yes. Did this forum ever come to a consensus regarding how to report a caution for DOGSO on wholegame under the new laws?

@MatthewC I don't think the new laws make any distinction on the reason for the card when deciding if a player can be treated on the pitch. Technically, I think a player injured in the process of an opponent leaving the field of play without permission could stay on for treatment! And therefore, as long as the treatment can be completed in a timely manner, that player would be eligible to take the kick.

You aren't reporting a caution for DOGSO, as the new laws effectively say that the penalty replaces the OGSO. So you just put whatever code is suitable for the caution offence - e.g. FT, SP, TR, etc.

This is a problem that has existed in the laws for years. The new laws make no difference here, except you get an 'out' if, and only if, you're booking the defender.

Case 1: I don’t see a penalty kick being any different to any other restart after a player treatment. A player who has been treated has to leave the field of play and cannot take the restart, penalty kick or otherwise. This of course does not apply to the few exceptions specifically mentioned in the LOTG. As captain said, the only thing that has changed this year is the addition of a new exception.

Case 2: the wording of the exception in law covers this so he doesn’t have to leave the FOP. “a player is injured as the result of a physical offence for which the opponent is cautioned or sent off”. The caution was for the foul, not because it was reckless but because it was DOGSO.

Fair enough, I considered that would be the case but would rather get a second opinion. :D new scenario: exactly the same as the first one in OP (player received treatment and is asked to leave the FOP). Another player steps up to take the pen and it is saved, but the assistant is flagging for a retake as the goalkeeper was off his line when it was taken. How many of you would now allow the originally injured player back onto the FOP to take the retake?

Well......on one hand, if the PK is retaken then the ball has never entered play in accordance with the laws, so I don't think the player can enter.
On the other hand, the adage about bending the laws but not breaking them comes to mind.....could you possibly stretch the interpretation of the laws to argue that it was put into play but just needs to be put into play again?
What I'm getting at is the spirit of the game - that's where we bend laws, but not break them. Obviously this is an absurd clause in the laws that punishes the attacking team unfairly - so can we, considering the spirit of the game, push the latter argument as above?

For comparison, say the ball went out for a TI and a player went down injured. TI is taken but it's incorrect. While you're awaiting the other team to take the TI the player asks to come on. What do you do? It's actually the same question.....unless you want to bend the laws for the spirit of the game (unless you consider that my description of 'bending' is actually wholly breaking and an interpretation that is simply not possible - and I wouldn't argue against you if you took that stance)

Well......if the PK is retaken then the ball has never entered play in accordance with the laws, so I don't think the player can enter.
Not so sure about this one Capn.
The ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves. If the keeper comes off the line before it is kicked and it enters the goal then a goal is awarded so the keeper being off the line before the kick clearly doesn't mean that the ball is not in play as it would be impossible to score a goal unless the ball is in play.
Therefore, if the keeper saves makes a save, the ball has been in play and the injured player can come back on with no bending of the laws required.

Back