A&H

Pen or not? MVFC vs WSW (A-League)

Murri O

Natural or unnatural? Pen or no pen.

Link here for video clip.
If geoblocked then here are 3 screen caps that I hope shows what happens including point of contact. Ball came down virtually vertical. Player on left that handballs takes 2 or 3 steps to the right before abruptly stopping and then ball hits his hand. (Ball lands virtually at his feet. IE no large deflection.)

1648429227258.png

1648429192714.png

1648430570359.png

Last edited:
The Referee Store
i'm 'happy' with a pen here
Yes I think pen to.
The amount of time he has to watch the ball come down, he's unchallenged, it's just sloppy and clumsy and imo should be penalised for it.
Definitely can't say it's deliberate but can just about say makes body unnaturally bigger and its definitely not a justifiable consequence of the movement, due to the amount of time and space he has to the not handball it

I think the question from OP should be, is not calling a pen here a clear and obvious error?
Not in my view.

I think you can justify a pen as a few have described above but I also wouldn’t argue if someone said no pen.

Thanks lads.

At the last minute the player that handballs realises he's about to have a collision so puts his hand up to brace for impact. The ball then just glances down and the trajectory is pretty much unchanged. I would have happily let this one go.

The reverse angle on the Twitter video is the interesting one for me.

There’s the first brush of the hand, but then as the ball bounces away the player appears to lean towards and swat the ball away. A half second later the referee blows.

The reverse angle on the Twitter video is the interesting one for me.

There’s the first brush of the hand, but then as the ball bounces away the player appears to lean towards and swat the ball away. A half second later the referee blows.

I can't see that.

Thanks lads.

At the last minute the player that handballs realises he's about to have a collision so puts his hand up to brace for impact. The ball then just glances down and the trajectory is pretty much unchanged. I would have happily let this one go.
I’m the same. Making it a justifiable position for me

I'm not giving a penalty in this case either....... and to be honest I wouldnt have awarded the England penalty either against Switzerland at the weekend, maybe I'm not interpreting the handball law as I should but both seemed to have their arms in natural positions for the action they were doing.

Watched the video, one time. Normal speed /play, thought no, didn't see anything from the angle that made me think unnatural /deliberate.

Replay, still no, comes down, player's hands in a natural position imo, not giving it.

Strikes me as almost the perfect example to demonstrate that no matter how clear the handball law is, there will always be a marginal grey area where it's entirely legitimate for the on field referee to call it either way. The only thing I think is certain here is that there would be zero reason for a VAR intervention whatever the on field decision.

Back