A&H

Overhead kick

MatthewC

Game on Saturday, white v red. Red are 3-0 up in a well tempered game, with only one caution to white player for delaying the restart. 90+4 with about 10 seconds left to play and red have a corner kick. Ball is lofted into the box and cleared by a defender to the edge of the crowded penalty area. The ball travels over a red attacker, who turns to face his own goal and launches himself into an overhead kick. Defender comes in from behind him, and heads the ball away. He hasn't ducked his head at all, and is approximately 6ft tall. The red players boot makes heavy contact straight into the defenders face. Strong whistle to award defensive FK, white player is on the floor, though he doesn't want treatment. After a minute of so of flexing/rubbing his face, he gets up and moved back into position. I call offender over and caution.

Seemed a no brainer to me at the time. No intent at all, and he's probably not aware the defender was as close to him as he was, but he's still made contact with the players face, because he's made a reckless attempt to win the ball with little regard to anyone else's safety (in my opinion). However, players from both teams and both managers both moaned that it was an incredibly harsh caution, along with the argument that it was 'pointless' cautioning him that close to the final whistle. I made the argument that if he does it next week and breaks someone's nose it's going to be 'last weeks ref didn't punish it.' The rebuttal was 'giving him a yellow card isn't going to stop him trying it again'.

Was I correct to caution, or was it a tad harsh?

The Referee Store
I would say correct. To kick someone 6ft tall in the face is impressive! I guess you could say it was harsh as he didn't know the player was there but it was dangerous play and high. Also the defenders safety is in danger (which you have stated) so I think it is harsh but it is the correct decision.

If there were players within feet of the overhead kicker ( he must have had some idea as he turned around) then the FK and caution was correct. If players were running in at him from a distance, he could not see as he had his back to them it would have been a bit harsh..... difficult one to call as it depends on the proximity of players and how quick it developed... one of those " got to be there to see it" decisions.

From your description I think you were correct with the caution. I think football (players, coaches, spectators and even referees) can be too tolerant of head high challenges with the foot and the possible consequences. Come on - it doesn't take much to work out that an opponent might just be going for the same ball with this/her head!

In Law 12 - Fouls and misconduct section, it says, "A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to an opponent". Did the attacker know that the defender was there? Was it a clear attempt to try and get the ball? Was it dangerous?

Harsh caution? He has done a bicycle kick in a crowded PA and as a result kicked somebody in the face.
I seriously struggle to think of a scenario where the boot is lifted high and an opponent kicked in the face that isn't reckless at minimum. It sounds like a caution was correct. He may not have been aware of the defender but given the nature of the kick (relatively uncontrolled given it's a high, blind kick in a crowded area) he has acted without due care to the opponent.

Hi
For me a definite caution. It is certainly reckless. The 2015 had the following advice to referees
"" Playing in a dangerous manner involves no physical contact between the
players. If there is physical contact, the action becomes an offence punishable
with a direct free kick or penalty kick. In the case of physical contact, the
referee should carefully consider the high probability that misconduct has also
been committed.""

The problem is this is being allowed in the professional game. Yesterday Gestede scored an overhead kick for Villa where he also kicked the defender in the side of the head, and then Costa did the same for Chelsea against Swansea, and in both cases goals were given. Not going to make it easy for grassroots referees to disallow and caution at lower levels.

The problem is this is being allowed in the professional game. Yesterday Gestede scored an overhead kick for Villa where he also kicked the defender in the side of the head, and then Costa did the same for Chelsea against Swansea, and in both cases goals were given. Not going to make it easy for grassroots referees to disallow and caution at lower levels.
Because the 'spectacle' is far more important than the laws. Or fairness.

Back