A&H

Junior/Youth Offside when attacker advancing on keeper

Never having used a CAR in 26 years, no, I cant imagine it and thankfully it will never happen.

There is of course the other method, and the one I use the most during games, " voice" In absence of comms/buzzers/buzzers not working, then I would really like my AR to be yelling at me. I would like to think at low level game with a crowd of 5, I would pick up my own ARs method of commmuication.

The Referee Store
How can you flag on the halfway? The second last defender could be more than 20-yards from the halfway line by the time the attacker becomes active e.g. attacker runs back from an offside position into his own half for a header, opposition defender drops off to cover any flick ons.

Referee should be aware what's happening when the assistant puts his flag up and makes the coming back signal.

Not sure I have seen all the defenders that far from the drop zone but using your example that would work even better. My AR flagging then running to the half way line should give it away!!

How can you flag on the halfway? The second last defender could be more than 20-yards from the halfway line by the time the attacker becomes active e.g. attacker runs back from an offside position into his own half for a header, opposition defender drops off to cover any flick ons.

Referee should be aware what's happening when the assistant puts his flag up and makes the coming back signal.

The coming back signal, which is....what? Where in LOTG?

There is nothing to stop a AR recognising an offside offence, flagging, referee then stops play, and AR runs to half way? When referee has ball round about where it should be, AR can go back to 2nd last defender?

Page 88

As a general rule, the AR should not use obvious hand signals. However, in
some instances, a discreet hand signal may assist the referee. The hand signal
should have a clear meaning which should have been agreed in the pre-match
discussion.

Everyone can have own thoughts but to me, nothing discreet at all in doing that hand waving he came from here to get involved in play signal
Discreet to me means subtle hand to indicate a direction.
Again though, if it works for you, thats fine

Well done op for taking the time to come on here and ask for guidance.

As a general rule though I doubt you will get many CARs to spot an offside when attacker becomes active in own half.

I've seen them given in FL and PL matches, where clearly the players have no idea why the FK is being taken in attackers own half - to expect a CAR to flag, let along assume the 'correct' position afterwards is very ambitious!;)

The coming back signal, which is....what? Where in LOTG?
While it's true that it's not in the Laws of the Game, it is called for in the document referred to earlier and which is the recommended procedure according to the PGMOL, FA, EFL and the Premier League. At least according to that document, it is when the AR uses "their left hand in a ‘right to left’ gesture/arc signal to help communicate that the player has moved back from an offside position."

Last edited:
Understood, but never having been, or never will being a member of any of those bodies, it kind of confuses the idea of the LOTG being universal

Understood, but never having been, or never will being a member of any of those bodies, it kind of confuses the idea of the LOTG being universal
I entirely agree, which is why I have alluded to the idea (both in this thread and the previous one) that there really should be some guidance on this from the IFAB and I really don't understand why they haven't included something in the "Practical Guidelines for Match Officials" section.

Last edited:
Yes, but I've seen it on the telly in Premier League games so I use it.
Turns out it works. When a player is penalised for offside for getting involved with active play in an onside position (i.e. coming back) it is often only the player and the AR that know what's gone on (in my experience). The arc signal is great for players, benches, the ref and the 25 people watching.

The other AR signal that works is the subtle spare hand showing for "carry on, no offside". I was against this, as it is close to a one handed advantage signal, but in fast passages of play, when there have been lots of wait and sees, it is great as a ref to have a clear signal from the AR that they are not about to raise the flag. It's easy to see while moving fast. I appreciate this as a ref. So, I also do this now as an AR.

You may also see the ref using his hand if it's a 50/50 indicating which way he is going so there is no confusion between him and the Asst works well I use them and never had an issue.

Back