A&H

Offside in your own half?

Viridis1886

That doesn't matter. It's still a foul!
Level 5 Referee
Now this is confusing me...

11-1
A player is in an offside position if:
any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line)

11-4
"If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play."

Please can someone help me understand the two sections above. Isn't this a contradiction?

Is it if a player is in the opponents half and is therefore offside position. When the ball is played, they then return back into their own half and commit an offside offence if/when they become active?

The Referee Store
You are confusing the 2 elements of offside - being in an offside position (which 11-1 applies to) and committing an offside offence (which 11-4) relates to.

For 11-1, being in your own half means that you are not in an offside position therefore the rest of Law 11 become irrelevant.

For 11-4, if you commit an offside offence by becoming involved in play then the free kick is taking from the point you committed the offence - which in these circumstances would be where the player has moved back into their own half between their team mate playing the ball and then the offside player playing the ball or challenging an opponent.

Excellent. So as per the little thumbnail example at the end of the OP.

Thanks for confirming. 👍🏼

perfectly explained above

1- it will happen once a season
2- absolute bedlam ensues when you allow the restart for offside in the players own half
I actually had something similar when I was running the line for U15. The player came back to play the ball and in that time was about 5yds 'onside'. A fair amount of disagreement, but the ref said that it was absolutely correct. It was his comments after that helped spur me onto doing the course.

Excellent. So as per the little thumbnail example at the end of the OP.

Thanks for confirming. 👍🏼

yes, imagine the striker on the centre circle arc in the opponens half in an offside position
His gk kicks * not a goal kick obv * to arc in his own half, the prev offside position is the one who goes back to get the ball
offside, restart on the gk half of the pitch centre circle arc

Last edited:
yes, imagine the striker on the centre circle arc in the opponens half in an offside position
His gk kicks to arc in his own half, the prev offside position is the one who goes back to get the ball
offside, restart on the gk centre circle arc
Beautifully explained. The LotG is not great for us visual learners!

perfectly explained above

1- it will happen once a season
2- absolute bedlam ensues when you allow the restart for offside in the players own half

I've had a CAR give OS for a player becoming active, I gave the FK in own half... Most of the players didn't seem to understand it all but didn't moan but I recall one player really not getting the jist and going on at me like a bat out of hell.

It's the one time it's happened in 4 seasons!

This confusion is caused because there are two different moments in time are under consideration for offside. The moment the ball is touched by a team mate. The is the moment to determine if a player is in an offside position and the half way line considered for this. At this moment no offence is committed .

The second moment the actual offence. And the can only be committed by a player who was in an offside position in the first moment. For the second half way line is not a consideration.

I gave this a few weeks back. Only point in the game that I lost respect from the players and coaches. To the extent that I thought it's not worth bothering with at grass roots unless being observed

It's probably not the 'offside' that is causing the issue but the 'location' of the offence. They probably get that they were offside and if the restart was at the point they were standing when the ball was played would more than likely just accept it. It's when the location is then in their half that the understanding collapses.

Right... this is now posing some new questions.

"If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred..."

The attacking player is 1yd over the half way line in an offside position. The ball is punted through. The gk comes out of his box to control and play the ball forward. The attacker then advances on the gk to close it down and becomes active.

Did the offence occur at the 1yd mark or at the point where the gk was (just outside the box)?

Right... this is now posing some new questions.

"If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred..."

The attacking player is 1yd over the half way line in an offside position. The ball is punted through. The gk comes out of his box to control and play the ball forward. The attacker then advances on the gk to close it down and becomes active.

Did the offence occur at the 1yd mark or at the point where the gk was (just outside the box)?
Neither. The offense occurs at the point where the defender challenged the GK for the ball.

But just “advancing toward“ the GK is not enough to be actively involved. The actual involvement here would be challenging the GK for the ball, which requires the attacker to get close--but we often fudge by calling this early to avoid an unnecessary collision with the GK.

And the reality is hardly anyone understands where the FK really should be, and the majority of OS FKs are not taken from the right spot.(Some of this is fueled by the old standard--until a few years ago, the FK was from where the OSP attacker was at the time the ball was played--many Os FKs stI’ll get taken there (improperly).

His gk kicks to arc in his own half, the prev offside position is the one who goes back to get the ball
offside, restart on the gk half of the pitch centre circle arc
Assuming, of course, that the GK was “kicking from hands” and not a goal kick as you can’t be offside from a goal kick.

I know you (@Anubis ) know this, but there may be other less experienced colleagues reading this who don’t

Assuming, of course, that the GK was “kicking from hands” and not a goal kick as you can’t be offside from a goal kick.

I know you (@Anubis ) know this, but there may be other less experienced colleagues reading this who don’t

suppose thats a good point.

Back