A&H

'Offside' in Sunderland game

How do we not know that Foy has said 'offside is all your's' in the pre game? If he does then he has to go with his assistant on the decision.

The Referee Store
Surely a good reason for not saying it....if he did and saw the offence

Teamwork/match control v integrity/lotg

Only ever gonna be one winner for some

How do we not know that Foy has said 'offside is all your's' in the pre game? If he does then he has to go with his assistant on the decision.

Doesn't matter what he said. If Foy saw that he was in his own half, which obviously we don't know, he should have overruled. The right decision has to come first.

We have to assume foy didn't see it. No referee wants to drop a howler like that. Times that by a thousand for televised games where you will be ridiculed by tv pundits and other media outlets for the rest of the season.

As a Spurs fan it's annoying, but didn't effect the result so that's great.

As a ref, and this will sound awful, but it's great! It's good to know even at the very top people make errors. I've had sleepless nights over decisions I've missed, things I've given and realised it was wrong. But this does make me take heart thtpat the very best can make those mistakes as well. I don't like seeing them get it wrong at the top, but we're all human.

In fairness to the AR it's a pretty unusual situation. When watching MOTD knowing the result I thought the ref had blown for full time during our break away, which I thought was poor form, but the offside call was a bit baffling.

Foy should no doubt be able to pick this up. While it is the main responsibility of the AR, the ref can't totally forget about offsides. Also, the 4th official would have had to be in the perfect spot to see this, assuming he wasn't engaged with the benches.

the ref can't totally forget about offsides..

I sure do on the rare occasion I have ARs, leaves me to worry about other things.
I miss the days CARs gave offsides back when I reffed in Leicestershire. Would save me so many dissent YCs.

Not sure which AR this was, but both who were on the Spurs game have FA Cup 4th round games, and Foy is in the middle for Cambridge V Manchester United, so no 'punishment' as such yet.

He may have been 4-5 yards away but he was looking in the direction the player making the pass. At the speed of the counter attack, he's therefore unlikely to be able to tell for certain the position of the other player when the ball was played.

And let's be honest here, he has kept up with the break brilliantly. He will be sprinting full pace there

I sure do on the rare occasion I have ARs, leaves me to worry about other things.
I miss the days CARs gave offsides back when I reffed in Leicestershire. Would save me so many dissent YCs.

Of course you can, but when the AR makes a total mess of a situation (like this one), prepare to suffer in the assessment. At least that is how it works in Norway. If your AR is not up to it, you are expected to pick up on obvious mistakes (like if the ball is played by a defender).

Referee is looking at the player playing the ball and when he looks around the assistant has his flag up so he goes with the signal. It was wring in law but the referee only had part of the information in this situation. The assistant made a mistake. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Your implication is that we shouldn't be discussing, Brian.

If nothing else it highlights quite a few learning opportunities

1) Concentration is needed right up to last minute
2) In unusual situations, don't forget the basics
3) If lucky enough to have neutral assistants, make sure your pre match brief includes these words "Offsides are yours, unless I see you're wrong in law" - several L4/5 referees I have been out with have used that. Obviously you have to be aware of this and look to implement of necessary.

Surely discussing these sort of incidents helps us avoid similar mistakes?

When I have a chat with the club linesman I always say"offside is when the ball is kicked,not in flight,if I overrule your flag decision I will gesture you so(arm straight out palm down and gestures downwards)and good clear flag signals....I also tell both teams in pre-match talk to play to the whistle especially on offsides the flag is for me and I might over rule the linesman

Back