A&H

'Offside' in Sunderland game

Harry

Level 6 Referee
Bit of a strange one in the Spurs Sunderland game, this is a picture of when the player is flagged offside, the Sunderland goalkeeper was in the Spurs box and the spurs player scored but was flagged offside. Strange one but I'm not complaining

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
The Referee Store
As I haven't seen motd yet; he was flagged offside in his own half?

I wasn't at the game but from the discussion I've heard from the Sunderland fans, that's correct. Will be intresting to see on MOTD

As I haven't seen motd yet; he was flagged offside in his own half?

By nearly two meters, the Tottenham forums I'm a member of are going mental, it's a good job it wasn't a goal to decide the winner. Not sure who the AR is but that's as basic an error as you get.

By nearly two meters, the Tottenham forums I'm a member of are going mental, it's a good job it wasn't a goal to decide the winner. Not sure who the AR is but that's as basic an error as you get.

Just seen the video on the Sunderland forum, they're having a good laugh at it. Didn't think it'd be that bad in real time but it's baffling how you could get it that wrong, I really hate critising officials but it's purely embarassing

And let's not exonerate Chris Foy on this one. hH was in a great position to see the incident, recognise the AR's mistake and overrule, especially as the raised flag didn't actually distract any Sunderland players .. miss from him too as well

That's an absolute howler!

Chris Foy has to take some of the blame too, he was close enough to realise what had happened and overruled it. I bet Chris Hoy's had some fun on twitter! :D

It's even worse when seen properly on tv. The AR doesn't have any excuse, he would have been stationary on the half way line. Looks like he was having words with foy after it was given with comms kit. Oh dear.

I had made some balls ups in my time. Hopefully I never do that!

I'm with Kieran. Because its the 'unusual' situation of the last defender not being a GK, he is presumably concentrating so much on that factor, that the 'not in your own half' part of the law just goes amiss. A basic yet understandable error.

Only popped in quickly to see if there was a thread here about this.

The AR must be immediately dropped from PGMOL. No questions. Probably needs to be dropped off the national list altogether. Back to a 4 for him.

You can't get worse than that. I'd put it above ghost goal in terms of stupidity in fact. The (edit) *assistant* referee simply has to go.

Last edited:
Referee is looking at the player playing the ball and when he looks around the assistant has his flag up so he goes with the signal. It was wring in law but the referee only had part of the information in this situation. The assistant made a mistake. Move along. Nothing to see here.

So many people saying Foy has to take some of the blame, I disagree.
The time lapse from the ball being played and the player passing the half way line is a FRACTION of a second. No way am I overruling the AR (who's only job is to make this decision, whilst the referee is concentrating on any foul that may be a DOGSO). It looks terrible in a screen shot. Real life doesn't pause unfortunately.

Reactions: SM
Back