A&H

Observation weighting

Tom_R

Level 5 Referee
I'll be observed this season for 4w-3w. I've seen that different parts of the observation are weighted differently for the mark. How does this work?

The Referee Store
Exactly as you have said. Some sections have greater importance (e.g. application of law) and therefore contribute more to the final mark.

See Resources, I have just uploaded the L3 & L4 form for 23/24 season. I don't suspect the 4W-3W would be much different

Thanks both, I still don't understand how the score of each section is added/ calculated to get the final mark

Thanks both, I still don't understand how the score of each section is added/ calculated to get the final mark
There are four competencies in application of law, let's say you get the standard expected in each, so 7.0, that's 28 marks. That section has a weighting of 6, so (6*28)/10 = 16.8 marks.

There are also four competencies in communication and teamwork, but it only has a weighting of 4.5. So if you get 7.0 in each of those it will be calculated as (4.5*28)/10 = 12.6.

So even though you have performed identically in the two competency categories, you get 4.2 extra marks for application of law because it carries extra weighting.

Back