A&H

Non-Handball Incident

The Referee Store
That's a foul. Jumps up to block the ball sticking his arm out from the side. FK any day of the week. If it's blocking a shot then yeah, I think that justifies a yellow (but hard to tell that from these camera angles)

No penalty for me, ball was struck too close to him. There was no movement of the arm towards the ball.

No chance for me. The ball has moved little more than one metre after being kicked and to give a penalty there would be more than harsh.

As much as it sickens me (as a die hard Leeds fan) to say so, that's not a handball in a million years. The proximity of the player to the ball before it is kicked, the force of the kick and his arm movement as he jumps is not unnatural, so they all tell me Graham Scott got it right. He might just have a had a modicum of help from Peter Kirkup on his line who had a much better angle and surely told him over the comms it was no handball. Maybe @Tealeaf could ask him at the quiz in a couple of weeks?

I don't agree with Brian here. I think his arm movement is unnatural. The ball is also not hid hard. The attacker prepares to lob and the defender anticipates the lofted flight. The defender has jumped and positioned his arms and legs in a twisted way to try to prepare and block the ball. His arms are raised awkwardly to try and block the ball. From the angle we have I think that's an easy pen to give.

I don't agree with Brian here. I think his arm movement is unnatural. The ball is also not hid hard. The attacker prepares to lob and the defender anticipates the lofted flight. The defender has jumped and positioned his arms and legs in a twisted way to try to prepare and block the ball. His arms are raised awkwardly to try and block the ball. From the angle we have I think that's an easy pen to give.
Surely you're looking at a different clip, arms are the the position expected when jumping, the ball is very close to the defender, it is struck at speed.......not deliberate.

...arms are the the position expected when jumping to block a ball with the arms

There, fixed it for you ;)

I think it is deliberate. And the ball is lofted, not struck at high speed, and the defender has positioned his arms to try to block the ball. But I've said that already.

This might be controversial, but I think those saying penalty are possibly those who have never actually played football at any kind of level. As a player when you jump your arms come away from your body, that is just natural and can't really be avoided. In this case Colback has anticipated the shot and jumped to block it, and I'm struggling to see what other position his arm could be in there. His arms aren't raised awkwardly to try and block the ball, rather he has jumped and the natural reaction there is for the arms to come up.

You cannot jump with your arms pinned by your side.

This might be controversial, but I think those saying penalty are possibly those who have never actually played football at any kind of level. .
Not controversial - just a nonsense assumptions.

I'm with you. You don't get to jump in front of a shot ant stick your arms out to the side. We're charging down a kick here.

Don't need to have your arms by your side, but arms can be tucked into the chest.

It resulted in a Newcastle win, so the decision was correct.:p

Let's think if it had been a ManU player who did. Definitely penalty and DOGSO - he was on the FOP...:redcard::p

Of those claiming handball, do you jump with your arms by your side?

The guidance we are given hear in England that a 'natural' position does not always mean down by your side for this reason.

How can it be un-natural to jump like that, its called balance, never a pen in the memory of man!!

Back