A&H

Nike Referee Kit 2017

I imagine they'll stay black - premiership referees seem to wear black socks and shorts regardless of their shirt colour.

The Referee Store
I imagine they'll stay black - premiership referees seem to wear black socks and shorts regardless of their shirt colour.

Not this season ...
they have matching socks to the shirt ... I think it looks rather smart personally - when we find out the shirt colour in Essex, i'll be asking if we are also allowed to wear matching sock colour also

Not this season ...
they have matching socks to the shirt ... I think it looks rather smart personally - when we find out the shirt colour in Essex, i'll be asking if we are also allowed to wear matching sock colour also
Have you got any pictures of this, Charlie? I'm pretty sure I've only seen black shorts and socks! In Europe they have worn coloured socks, but it has been like that for a few years, from memory.

This is the communication i got from our RDO

2017/2018 – Sanction of Coloured Referee Shirts

The FA Referees’ Committee have confirmed that each CFA should be allowed to decide, for those Competitions which they organise/sanction, whether or not to permit coloured shirts. Where such a Competition appoints neutral Assistant Referees only one coloured (non-black) shirt should be permitted, so that the Match Officials wear the same. The FA Referees’ Committee will therefore be proposing the following change to The FA Regulations for the Registration and Control of Referees for season 2017/2018 to;

Regulation 11. Referees’ Uniforms

(a) (i) All Match Officials in Competitions under the jurisdiction of The Football Association and Affiliation Associations must wear uniforms comprising a plain shirt which shall be almost entirely black with a white or black collar and black shorts. Affiliated Associations may give permission for referees to wear non-black shirts in a Competition which the Affiliated Association organises/or sanctions. The shirt(s) must be almost entirely of a single colour. Where a Competition appoints neutral Assistant Referees, only one non-black coloured shirt is permitted; the colour must be designated and Competition Rules must ensure that the Match Officials can wear black or the designated colour without clashing with the players. Socks will be black; the sock top will be black, white or the colour of the shirt or its collar.

(II) Referees’ uniforms must not carry any form of advertising.

Seems i was wrong about leagues getting the choice.

That reads a little ambiguous when you talk about FA competitions such as Supply League. Are they sanctioned by a CFA? I assume they are.

So the intention is that any game with neutral assistants will have one colour shirt only sanctioned so people don't have to buy more than one extra shirt for next season. Any game where the ref is on his own, such as a Sunday morning job, the ref can wear any colour.

But leagues will have competitions where NARs are used for semi finals and finals etc. My local mens Saturday and Sunday leagues also use NARs where possible for premier and senior section games respectively.

I'm still baffled about who this is supposed to benefit in it's current state. Referees are now near-obliged to buy and carry at least one extra shirt, if not more. Clubs will now have one less option when it comes to selecting kit colour. Leagues and CFA's now have to spend time updating rules to account for this. So who benefits?

Teams still have the same options as far as i can tell, but it allows referees to wear another colour if a team has a kit that may clash with black dark/navy blue in the rain springs to mind.

Or those black and white striped shirts which have all black sleeves and back

Teams still have the same options as far as i can tell, but it allows referees to wear another colour if a team has a kit that may clash with black dark/navy blue in the rain springs to mind.

Or those black and white striped shirts which have all black sleeves and back
So black and the designated colour aren't protected any more? I am obliged to have a second colour then, because teams are now allowed very dark or majority-black kits, as well as perhaps being allowed the designated colour?

I knew this would eventually be an inevitable consequence, but I thought they'd at least spend a few seasons pretending that I could still turn up in black if I wanted to!

Some supply leagues are controlled by CFA while others may be under the control of the FA.

For the York league, it is under the control of the North Riding CFA, so the second kit will be what they dictate. We have East and West Riding officials and clubs in our league, but my reading is that those referees can only wear the NRCFA nominated colour, not what their own CFA nominate if different.

I understand that SCOR will still ban black kits for 17/18 at lower levels.

The change will help those refereeing in academies where the FL team has a black main kit or in minor league games, where the referee how has a choice.

This is not the end of the world, Saturday and Sunday football will still occcur; black will be the main kit for 3-4 years; embrace the change.

So black and the designated colour aren't protected any more? I am obliged to have a second colour then, because teams are now allowed very dark or majority-black kits, as well as perhaps being allowed the designated colour?

I knew this would eventually be an inevitable consequence, but I thought they'd at least spend a few seasons pretending that I could still turn up in black if I wanted to!

I didnt say black was no longer a protected colour.

I cant see them banning teams from wearing either yellow, green, or purple on top of black however.

Edited to add: just go with the flow, if you refuse to buy coloured shirts then just wear black as normal

I didnt say black was no longer a protected colour.

I cant see them banning teams from wearing either yellow, green, or purple on top of black however.

Edited to add: just go with the flow, if you refuse to buy coloured shirts then just wear black as normal
I think the communication you quoted implies that: "Competition Rules must ensure that the Match Officials can wear black or the designated colour without clashing with the players". To me, the OR there is significant - it implies that as long as the referee is able to wear the designated colour (ie. a team can't have kits that are part black and part DC), then black becomes acceptable.

I have no real problem with allowing coloured shirts (seems unnecessary, but whatever). I do have a problem with a situation where coloured shirts become a requirement.

I get that, and agree it is a bit wishy washy for my liking but it is what it is.

If i end up needing black, purple, green, and yellow shirts to cover all my leagues etc then so be it, my Mrs wouldnt be best pleased, but at current prices i could get 3 new short sleeve shirts and 3 long sleeve shirts with embroidery for £249.

I would more than cover that with 5 weeks refereeing just saturday and sunday assuming match fees dont change next season.

Would you really need short and long sleeved shirts in all colours. Surely you could have one or the other and if short sleeved find a base layer in that colour for the winter?

I get that, and agree it is a bit wishy washy for my liking but it is what it is.

If i end up needing black, purple, green, and yellow shirts to cover all my leagues etc then so be it, my Mrs wouldnt be best pleased, but at current prices i could get 3 new short sleeve shirts and 3 long sleeve shirts with embroidery for £249.

I would more than cover that with 5 weeks refereeing just saturday and sunday assuming match fees dont change next season.
You don't think that's a lot? 10 matches is 15 hours work, somewhere between 20-25 if you include arriving early, half time and travel. And for what benefit?

You don't think that's a lot? 10 matches is 15 hours work, somewhere between 20-25 if you include arriving early, half time and travel. And for what benefit?

I get paid for matches and i use that money to buy or replace kit used to referee.

I woumd be refereeing those games anyway so ive not really lost anything.

In all likely hood if i needed several different colours of shirt i would prioritise and buy the one i know ill be wearing the most/need first.

I only wear long sleeve shirts to cover a long sleeve base layer so wouldnt need one till the weather starts to turn.

The only annoying thing will be how often the allowed clours change.

Would you really need short and long sleeved shirts in all colours. Surely you could have one or the other and if short sleeved find a base layer in that colour for the winter?

True, whilst i personally hate wearing a long sleeve base layer with a short sleeve shirt. Even if i needed all 3 colours i wouldnt buy them all at the very start of the season.

its not actually on the pitch ... but here it is

Attachments

• clattsy.jpg
    clattsy.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 18
Back