A&H

Junior/Youth Nightmare Game

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
I had 3 matches today, and in the first I seemed to get every throw-in and gk/corner decision wrong (I am being hyperbolic of course). What didn't help was that most of them were on the side with the parents so they let me know about it! The other two games didn't go too badly but I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help bounce back?

The Referee Store
We all have them from time to time mate. Be it a crap game or a specific incident where the rest of the game was fantastic. I tell myself "next time...", come on here and off load and then let it go.

Ross, it says on the bar where it tells you the people that have liked his post, it says '(deleted user)' .

I had a shocker on Saturday and even admitted it to the person who came down to watch me, being honest im sure
the 4 hours sleep I had didnt help me

In this situation, after the game would you apologise to the captains or coaches? (I didn't - I just wanted to get out of there ASAP!)

I had similar to you this week.
I had three games on Sunday, which I don't normally do. My last two games were fine but in my first game I awarded a penalty which was probably outside the box. I think I reacted to quickly and didn't want to change my decision. Fortunately for me the penalty was missed. :) I also made a 12 year old cry when I told him off for saying F***er when he said Fouler... OUCH! :oops:
After that I just got my head down and focused on my decisions. It could be that you wasn't mentally prepared or that you was a little tired. It seems you did ok in the 2nd and 3rd game so clearly you moved on from it. These things happen to all of us. Try to remember why it went wrong and make sure next time your more ready. Remember you aren't go to get everything right, but as long as your fair and are trying your best that’s all you can do.

I had similar to you this week.
I had three games on Sunday, which I don't normally do. My last two games were fine but in my first game I awarded a penalty which was probably outside the box. I think I reacted to quickly and didn't want to change my decision. Fortunately for me the penalty was missed. :) I also made a 12 year old cry when I told him off for saying F***er when he said Fouler... OUCH! :oops:
After that I just got my head down and focused on my decisions. It could be that you wasn't mentally prepared or that you was a little tired. It seems you did ok in the 2nd and 3rd game so clearly you moved on from it. These things happen to all of us. Try to remember why it went wrong and make sure next time your more ready. Remember you aren't go to get everything right, but as long as your fair and are trying your best that’s all you can do.
Funny you should say that - I gave a penalty which, on reflection was harsh, but fortunately it was blasted straight over the bar!

Ha. I didn't give a penalty which I could easily have given. I don't know why I didn't. Attacker taken out by keeper. The ball had already been struck and was going wide so no DOGSO. But I convinced myself, and more importantly convinced the attacking team, that the keeper had come to a stop and the attacker had run into them and gone over.

Ha. I didn't give a penalty which I could easily have given. I don't know why I didn't. Attacker taken out by keeper. The ball had already been struck and was going wide so no DOGSO. But I convinced myself, and more importantly convinced the attacking team, that the keeper had come to a stop and the attacker had run into them and gone over.
Well as long as everybody bought your decision then there isn't a problem!

I had 3 matches today, and in the first I seemed to get every throw-in and gk/corner decision wrong (I am being hyperbolic of course). What didn't help was that most of them were on the side with the parents so they let me know about it! The other two games didn't go too badly but I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help bounce back?
Those parents would not have been watching a game had you not ref'd it.
Everyone has bad games. Learn and move on.

I had a similiar situation to this, whereby the attacker chipped the keeper, and the keeper took him out. The ball was headed for the goal but was cleared by a defender on the six-yard line. I didn't give a penalty, much to the displeasure of the attacker and his coach. Obviously if the ball had gone in it would have never been a penalty but it was hard to work out when the advantage had to end and I didn't award it. Again there was no DOGSO due to the defender.

....... but it was hard to work out when the advantage had to end and I didn't award it. Again there was no DOGSO due to the defender.

Count to three, if the advantage is gone within that time, give the penalty, the attacker was fouled and no advantage was there to play if the defender cleared it.

Back