A&H

Newcastle - City

Well taking that (part of) the quote literally is clearly nonsense. Referee could be in wrong position, there could be a player needing treatment, you might want to sort out disciplinary issues - to say that as long as the attacking team can fulfil those two criteria, we're good to go is ridiculous.

And take it to the extreme but possible senario, free kick, ball stopped etc, all good, taken quick yet as ref, to quote (That's not in the laws. It's not the referee's job to delay the restart of play ), is not ready.....
you then are in no position/angle to call the offside from the free kick so wrongly? chalk the goal off
Some benefit you just gave the offended team there..........

You are the ref, you control the set pieces, not the players. And by control I do not mean you regimentally organise every last detail but, the very minimum you must be, is ready. Whatever form that takes.

The Referee Store
Sorry. I'd moved on from that particular incident. (My only beef with that was no YC for the foul and no real need for a YC for Dr Bruyne, when obvious mandatory YCs may often not be given).

It's the principle at issue. I start with the assumption that if I award a FK it can be taken immediately and I expect opponents not to "stand over" the ball. Only if for some reason is a quick FK not possible would I make it "ceremonial" and it's certainly not my job to give the defence time to get organised.
I believe it was 16 seconds from Tierney's whistle for the foul to him showing de Bruyne his whistle. In my opinion, the acceptable phase for a 'quick free kick' has passed.
Perhaps you have comment on the classic ****housery from Ederson who managed to ensure Ritchie had to wait for nearly 3 minutes before taking the spot kick?

I believe it was 16 seconds from Tierney's whistle for the foul to him showing de Bruyne his whistle. In my opinion, the acceptable phase for a 'quick free kick' has passed.
Perhaps you have comment on the classic ****housery from Ederson who managed to ensure Ritchie had to wait for nearly 3 minutes before taking the spot kick?
I agree with the first bit but the last bit really does sound a fan booing an injured player for getting injured.

I've already said it's not about Tuesday's game.

It's principle. Unless there's a reason to manage it, don't. There was a quick FK allowed a couple of seasons ago where it looked like the ref was setting up a ceremonial, as he was right next to the ball and about to get the spray out. While I say the advantage should be with the team that's got the FK, that one looked the ref was conspiring to mislead the defence.

I'm objecting here to prioritising "managing" to letting the game flow. Unless you are going to pace it out (or use the spray) why be near the ball? I take the point about not being in the wrong position.

Anyone see the deleted Tweet from Kyle Walker mocking Liverpool for not winning after this match!!

I agree with the first bit but the last bit really does sound a fan booing an injured player for getting injured.

I've already said it's not about Tuesday's game.

It's principle. Unless there's a reason to manage it, don't. There was a quick FK allowed a couple of seasons ago where it looked like the ref was setting up a ceremonial, as he was right next to the ball and about to get the spray out. While I say the advantage should be with the team that's got the FK, that one looked the ref was conspiring to mislead the defence.

I'm objecting here to prioritising "managing" to letting the game flow. Unless you are going to pace it out (or use the spray) why be near the ball? I take the point about not being in the wrong position.
He was injured, was he? Didn't realise that. Neymar gets injured a lot, too. So does Ronaldo. Jordan Henderson was very badly injured in the game against Colombia and Sergio Ramos had had to battle through countless painful incidents to win medals. I hope you noted if Tierney added that time on for stoppages. I understand it's something you have done before.

From an observer pint of view, I can't see what happens in the 15 seconds or so between the foul and when De Bruyne took the kick (due to replays of the foul) so I can't comment if it was necessary to make it a ceremonial free kick.

However I'd advise the ref to make sure it's clear to everyone, especially all attacking players, the free kick is ceremonial. Whistle hand in the air well above the head showing the whistle and the other hand close to it pointing to the whistle. And the body language must also show this (e.g move to the defenders and set the wall).

This is how PT did it.

1549071605505.png

Show the whistle to De Bruyne for a second at waist height and then started running towards the PA. Basically only him and De Bruyne knew it's on the whistle. Three seconds later Aguero runs through (not knowing it on the whistle) and De Bruyne instinctively (and wrongly) whips it in.

Second thing, I would be asking if he thinks he could have managed that situation without a card (initiate some self assessment thoughts)?

From an observer pint of view, I can't see what happens in the 15 seconds or so between the foul and when De Bruyne took the kick (due to replays of the foul) so I can't comment if it was necessary to make it a ceremonial free kick.

However I'd advise the ref to make sure it's clear to everyone, especially all attacking players, the free kick is ceremonial. Whistle hand in the air well above the head showing the whistle and the other hand close to it pointing to the whistle. And the body language must also show this (e.g move to the defenders and set the wall).

This is how PT did it.

View attachment 3013

Show the whistle to De Bruyne for a second at waist height and then started running towards the PA. Basically only him and De Bruyne knew it's on the whistle. Three seconds later Aguero runs through (not knowing it on the whistle) and De Bruyne instinctively (and wrongly) whips it in.

Second thing, I would be asking if he thinks he could have managed that situation without a card (initiate some self assessment thoughts)?

I got told by an assessor not to hold the whistle in the air as it’s looks too similar to the signal for an indirect free kick.

I got told by an assessor not to hold the whistle in the air as it’s looks too similar to the signal for an indirect free kick.
Same, but I think head height is still a good recommendation. It's still fairly clear, it's at the FK taker's eye line and it doesn't risk being confused with anything else.

Same, but I think head height is still a good recommendation. It's still fairly clear, it's at the FK taker's eye line and it doesn't risk being confused with anything else.
I usually just tell the kick taker and shout to the goalkeeper. They both acknowledge, there’s nobody else I really have to tell.

I usually just tell the kick taker and shout to the goalkeeper. They both acknowledge, there’s nobody else I really have to tell.
Disagree slightly, you want the defenders to know as well as it will make them much more compliant when you ask them to step back.

Each to their own though - I don't have a particularly loud shout, so prefer a visual signal to at least be part of it.

Agreed, if you are unable to simply say, wait please, then you need to recheck your communication skills
The whistle hold up is just a power display for the masses.

Forget that for a second. Do YOU think this (the whole of the display not half of it) looks like a IFK signal?
Whistle hand in the air well above the head showing the whistle and the other hand close to it pointing to the whistle.
Either way, you have two different contradictory advice. Use the one that works for you best.

Agreed, if you are unable to simply say, wait please, then you need to recheck your communication skills
The whistle hold up is just a power display for the masses.
Completely disagree. PT did simply say "wait please". The result was a controversial disallowing of a goal, a yellow card, 4 pages of debate here and load and loads more on other social media. Had he "power displayed" a little for the masses very unlikely anyone would be talking about it now. As a referee you would/should want to avoid controversy as much as you can (unless you want to be the star of the game). Sometime displaying just a little drama avoids a much more bigger drama to come.

Forget that for a second. Do YOU think this (the whole of the display not half of it) looks like a IFK signal?

Either way, you have two different contradictory advice. Use the one that works for you best.

Completely disagree. PT did simply say "wait please". The result was a controversial disallowing of a goal, a yellow card, 4 pages of debate here and load and loads more on other social media. Had he "power displayed" a little for the masses very unlikely anyone would be talking about it now. As a referee you would/should want to avoid controversy as much as you can (unless you want to be the star of the game). Sometime displaying just a little drama avoids a much more bigger drama to come.

Are you for real? In the pic that you yourself posted, the ref is clearly displaying his whistle!!!
And now you saying he should have displayed his whistle, even though, he did?

As another poster commented on a few days back, you do have an ugly habit of trying to fit your flawed reasoning to suit.

Are you for real? In the pic that you yourself posted, the ref is clearly displaying his whistle!!!
And now you saying he should have displayed his whistle, even though, he did?

As another poster commented on a few days back, you do have an ugly habit of trying to fit your flawed reasoning to suit.

No I am a mythical character. Not here to argue or get into personal attacks. Nough said.

Am only trying to get clarification from you on your own post? YOU posted a pic of ref holding up whistle
yet today, you "totally disagree" with my assumption that he was "power displaying" and had he done so the whole thing would have been avoided !!!!! He did hold up his whistle, and you know this, as you posted the pic !!!

Cant have it both ways..... nothing personal, just factually pointing out what you posted. Confusing, esp to less experienced guys. It reads like you are just disagreeing to get a rise out of folk, and, am as bad for biting

I don't think the 4 pages of debate are down to PT doing anything wrong. A nothing discussion imo

I don't think the 4 pages of debate are down to PT doing anything wrong. A nothing discussion imo
I have seen at least three articles from reputable websites (best guess at least another dozen I haven't seen) about this incident. There are numerous FB threads in it as well. They can't all amount to nothing discussions.

It really is not about PT doing things wrong. It's about how/if things could have been done better. If you note my previous posts, I did not say the yellow card was wrong. IMO it was not necessary. Similarly IMO the CFK cold have been managed better.

I have seen at least three articles from reputable websites (best guess at least another dozen I haven't seen) about this incident. There are numerous FB threads in it as well. They can't all amount to nothing discussions.

It really is not about PT doing things wrong. It's about how/if things could have been done better. If you note my previous posts, I did not say the yellow card was wrong. IMO it was not necessary. Similarly IMO the CFK cold have been managed better.

The way it could have been better was if the City player was aware and understood the referee's simple instruction.
If one of the worlds top players, who speaks English does not understand "wait" then, there is the crux of the matter, nothing to do with debating the referees' communication skills or reasoning for sanctioning.

Back