A&H

New/ returning. Advice for Sheffield/ South Yorkshire

Morgan521

Hi,

Returning ref after a few years. After the first time round just enjoying the hobby of it I'm looking to progress and ambitious with the role.

I'm based in Sheffield but haven't been involved in the local leagues for a while, so unsure of the local leagues and their respective reputations so any advice is welcome.

Willing to travel for good opportunities/ standard.

Any advice/ contacts would be appreciated.

The Referee Store
Hi,

Returning ref after a few years. After the first time round just enjoying the hobby of it I'm looking to progress and ambitious with the role.

I'm based in Sheffield but haven't been involved in the local leagues for a while, so unsure of the local leagues and their respective reputations so any advice is welcome.

I left Sheffield in 2020 but I imagine things haven't changed much.

I would recommend the Sheffield Fair Play League. It's Saturday 10.30am and open age. It's the only league I've ever experienced that doesn't appoint referees centrally and its actually up to each club to find referees for home games. This means you often referee the same team many times in a season and build up a good relationship. You can also go on Facebook and put your availability for teams to contact you. The League is well run and new teams have to play 5 'grading' games where the referee has to mark them on player behaviour. Poor behaviour means no entry to the league. I regularly refereed Sheffield Trinity and they were a pleasure to referee as were many others such as Bessecarr Evangelical & Maltby Zion (its an ex Church League hence the names).

There's very little OA football on Saturday aftermoons below County league, but you can get lines at County League easily which id recommend.

There's loads of football Sunday mornings. I used to rotate between the the Blades Super Draw (best quality league and several ex professional referees including a FIFA AR officiate on it). There's also the Imperial League and the Meadowhall/Bud Evans tl u18 & u21 leagues. Highly recommended the u18 & u21 leagues which are excellently run.

The women's league is popular around Sheffield now and you have the SDJFL (I believe it may still be the biggest in the Country, used to be called the Juniper) where there's a mountain of kids football games.

I forgot the Vets O35s & O45s leagues which play on Saturday afternoons. 5 divisions in total when I left and some of the most competitive football I did at grassroots with many ex pros.

I also did the Rotherham Sunday League for a year as well.

Hope that helps. Get contacting the league & ref secs.

That's amazing and much appreciated.

Must be honest, I was sceptical about getting involved with 'Sunday morning football'

I may be wrong

That's amazing and much appreciated.

Must be honest, I was sceptical about getting involved with 'Sunday morning football'

I may be wrong

There's women's football & the u18/u21 leagues which are better areas to start if you're concerned about the Sunday Leagues.

I enjoyed the challenge of the Sunday Leagues and there was some very good sides but it is OA Sunday Football in & around the cities of South Yorkshire and you need to be able to handle yourself and the game for sure. But the beauty of refereeing in urban areas is the choice of different Leagues you have. You can try them all and see which ones you like.

It sounds like you'd like to stay away from the potentially challenging stuff at least initially, so I'd go for the Fair Play League/County League lines if you want Saturdays & the u18/u21 if you want 45 minute Sunday games.

Hi,

I would recommend working Academies in their friendly games, I work them all the time, and strongly recommend doing them as the coaches are exceptionally friendly and understanding, especially the ones at Sheffield United.

Back