A&H

New referee

Ak384

Level 9 Referee
I started my
Referee course today and it was quite good we acted out scenarios and we're learning a lot
I have a few questions
1.is it easy to pass the test to become a referee
2.revision tips
3.is it possible to complete your first 5 games in 3 weeks
4.do you get paid for the first 5 games with mentor

The Referee Store
Congrats for taking the course - first step in a brilliant journey.

1/2: In England, there hasn’t been a Pass/Mark system for a long time as far as I’m aware, so that shouldn’t be a concern if you’re under an English County FA (CFA)

2: If you do need to revise, IFAB’s app for mobiles has a good Q&A section which you can test yourself on, and maybe read up on some of the laws you’re not sure on!

3: It is possible normally, yes. Many junior leagues will have multiple games at a venue in a day, meaning you could theoretically ref at the same place at 10AM and 2PM for example. It’s your choice as to whether this is right for you, sometimes if you’re first one is particularly rough, having the afternoon off can be better for clearing your head than jumping straight into another - but that’s subjective.

4: Yes, you will be paid.

I started my
Referee course today and it was quite good we acted out scenarios and we're learning a lot
I have a few questions
1.is it easy to pass the test to become a referee
2.revision tips
3.is it possible to complete your first 5 games in 3 weeks
4.do you get paid for the first 5 games with mentor
All of these are questions your tutor (Referee Developer) will answer in the course.
Q1 There is no test, if you are in England. You already passed the online test.
Q2 Not revision but you need to know all 17 laws before you start refereeing, as no-one else at the game will know them.
Q3 Yes
Q4 Yes
Enjoy your refereeing!

Since when was there no test? I am probably misremembering but I qualified four years ago and I seem to recall doing a quiz in which people passed or failed according to their score.
I qualified nigh on 3 ago and that wasn't in. Online LOTG test before, that's all.

I qualified nigh on 3 ago and that wasn't in. Online LOTG test before, that's all.
I’ve either got a terrible memory, (highly probable), I’m confusing an exercise we did during the course with an actual assessment, (possible), or it was changed during COVID.

All of these are questions your tutor (Referee Developer) will answer in the course.
Q2 Not revision but you need to know all 17 laws before you start refereeing, as no-one else at the game will know them.
Q3 Yes
Q4 Yes
Enjoy your refereeing!
Thanks for the clarification
Just been worrying that I'll fail the test but there isn't one

I've wrote about this before but there were 50 or so on my course. 90% of them were doing it instead of their Duke of Edinburgh Award and were basically just using messing around and completely uninterested. The only time they showed any interest was during the scenarios but they just wanted to play football and not learn about refereeing. The young RDO and his even younger staff couldn't cope with so many unruly kids. Most of them didn't listen to anything (or shut up at any point) and in the group 'exam' just messed around and didn't answer any questions. They all passed. Possibly the most shambolic thing I've ever witnessed (and I grew up a Man City fan in the 90s). I couldn't get qualifying games as they gave them to all these people who it was abundantly clear were never going to become referees (they didn't want to). 3 weeks later the league that the RDO sent the trainees to get their qualifying games in were emailing me and everyone else saying they were short of refs!

So I wouldn't be worried about exams/tests in the slightest. But keep researching and learning law for your own benefit going forward as you clearly care enough about refereeing to come on here so you will be fine.

I've wrote about this before but there were 50 or so on my course. 90% of them were doing it instead of their Duke of Edinburgh Award and were basically just using messing around and completely uninterested. The only time they showed any interest was during the scenarios but they just wanted to play football and not learn about refereeing. The young RDO and his even younger staff couldn't cope with so many unruly kids. Most of them didn't listen to anything (or shut up at any point) and in the group 'exam' just messed around and didn't answer any questions. They all passed. Possibly the most shambolic thing I've ever witnessed (and I grew up a Man City fan in the 90s). I couldn't get qualifying games as they gave them to all these people who it was abundantly clear were never going to become referees (they didn't want to). 3 weeks later the league that the RDO sent the trainees to get their qualifying games in were emailing me and everyone else saying they were short of refs!

So I wouldn't be worried about exams/tests in the slightest. But keep researching and learning law for your own benefit going forward as you clearly care enough about refereeing to come on here so you will be fine.
Duke of Edinburgh Award used to be a problem, but the revised course prospectus and the rise in the cost of the referee course has contributed to the DofE chasers finding cheaper and easier alternatives.
I haven't been asked to sign off a DofE form in the last 7 or 8 years.
We still get some time wasters, but far fewer than in years gone by.

Q3 Yes
Q4 Yes
Enjoy your refereeing!
Also there is a course as I have heard

Duke of Edinburgh Award used to be a problem, but the revised course prospectus and the rise in the cost of the referee course has contributed to the DofE chasers finding cheaper and easier alternatives.
I haven't been asked to sign off a DofE form in the last 7 or 8 years.
We still get some time wasters, but far fewer than in years gone by.
I think I was just unlucky with the sheer number of people on the course and the majority being DoE who had zero interest on the course. The RDO was trying to get them to shut up, stop playing football etc but he was only young and lacked authority. I learnt more at home afterwards than on the course.

Come to think of it, the Futsal course I was on was similar. 8 of us on it but 3 were there though their clubs (about 15 years old) and just played football. They kicked off about the games being stopped for us to practice. If they weren't kids I'd have shut them up myself.

I suppose its just the nature of trying to teach alot of young people. But I got almost nothing from my course but then again anyone who's serious about becoming a referee will do their own research too

I meant to say there is a test as i have heard but there wasn't a test we just referred and assistant referees games
That’s normal these days, a little bit of practice, then it’s onto you to start taking games and developing after the course.

That’s normal these days, a little bit of practice, then it’s onto you to start taking games and developing after the course.
Hi
Do you know how to take steps on to booking my first game cause someone said they'd add me
To a group but they haven't yet

Back