A&H

Never given one of those before...

I would take that to mean that after making a save (and assuming the ball does not remain between the hands or between the hand and any surface) the goalkeeper is not considered to have released the ball (since he did not have control of the ball in the first place) so the prohibition on touching it again before another player has done so, would not apply.

I don't think this will really change anything much in the way most referees would handle the situation, it's just that the word "parrying" doesn't appear in the laws any more.

I think that's exactly what it means. Basically, the keeper can make a save (or "parry") and in doing so is not considered to still be in control of the ball. Seems sensible to be honest. :)

The Referee Store
It's hardly a law change then if you didn't know about it or you were scared to apply it....

I certainly wasn't ever too scared to apply it (I laugh in the face of fear ;) :p ). I rather shamefully have to admit though that it's a part of the LOTG of which I was never aware.
Thankfully, from Wednesday onwards - it don't matter none. :D

I think that's exactly what it means. Basically, the keeper can make a save (or "parry") and in doing so is not considered to still be in control of the ball. Seems sensible to be honest. :)
Ok, I'm going to risk being a bit of a pedant here :). Whilst the word 'parry' has been removed from the laws, the intent of the law hasn't changed. It remains an offence for a GK to allow a slowly moving ball to simply hit his hands (basically in a situation where it would be just as easy to catch it instead), dribble it around for a while and then pick it up. So, 'parrying' in this way is still not allowed. Given that an opposition keeper was penalised for just this offence in an England friendly a couple of years back, no reason for us not to enforce it. But only on those RARE occasions when it's obvious to one and all that there was never in fact a save by the GK.

Ok, I'm going to risk being a bit of a pedant here :). Whilst the word 'parry' has been removed from the laws, the intent of the law hasn't changed. It remains an offence for a GK to allow a slowly moving ball to simply hit his hands (basically in a situation where it would be just as easy to catch it instead), dribble it around for a while and then pick it up. So, 'parrying' in this way is still not allowed. Given that an opposition keeper was penalised for just this offence in an England friendly a couple of years back, no reason for us not to enforce it. But only on those RARE occasions when it's obvious to one and all that there was never in fact a save by the GK.

Pedant! :D
To be honest, it's a totally pointless and ridiculous aspect of the LOTG in respect of goalkeepers inside their own area. What possible tangible gain is there to either team in the grand scheme of things other than to act as a mechanism with which to catch somebody out! :rolleyes: Ridiculous mate. No wonder most referees choose to ignore it.....

Whilst the word 'parry' has been removed from the laws, the intent of the law hasn't changed. It remains an offence for a GK to allow a slowly moving ball to simply hit his hands (basically in a situation where it would be just as easy to catch it instead), dribble it around for a while and then pick it up.
I think that's right - and this is probably why it is not mentioned as a law change in the section "Details of all Law changes" - because the IFAB apparently does not see this as a change in the meaning of the law, just a change of phraseology, where they have removed what they saw as an unnecessary paragraph.

Last edited:
Back