A&H

net breaking during play

Tino Best

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
On Saturday the away team had a free kick and the flight of the ball showed it was going over the bar, but then the ball was in the net. After a few moments of stunned silence I blew the whistle. The home team then said it went through the net. When I did my pre match inspection there were no holes in the net but there were a couple of repairs. After a inspecting the net you could see the ball had landed on this repair and it had given way. As I hadnt restarted play I changed my decision to a GK, no protests from the away team, put in a temporary mend so if in the small off chance it happened again I could tell if it happened again. Restarted the game with no issues. In the second half the away team again put one on the roof of the net and all the away parents cheered. I know know to look at repairs with a bit more care.

The Referee Store
More famous net failures are out there to make you feel better- the famous one in Romania is best example- look up Romanian ghost goal on you tube

Eh... you don't need nets to play a game! Get them taken down if they are confusing you (only joking!), sounds like a sensible approach, park football it happens a lot specially with people putting them up poorly, in the end the right decision was given so no harm done and at least you carry out a pre match inspection which helped you here!

To me the Bayern player knows it wasn't right, and was saying to the referee it went wide?

He definitely knows - he turned away with his face in hands. What he says to the ref nobody is admitting. There's another video where they interview everyone including the ref, who claims not to remember what was said.

It was given.The caption does return to 0-1 but that's because whoever is controlling the caption is confused about whether it was awarded. The last thing in the clip is the kick-off. There's a bunch of other videos about this incident.

It was given.The caption does return to 0-1 but that's because whoever is controlling the caption is confused about whether it was awarded. The last thing in the clip is the kick-off. There's a bunch of other videos about this incident.

Okey dokey - thanks

So have any of you guys had an incident when you've made an honest mistake and a player who has gained the advantage tells you that in fact it wasn't a goal or not a penalty or even not a corner?

As in the clip above with no huge player reaction or protest what do you do? You have given a decision as you have seen it, but you are now being influenced to change a decision by a player, albeit an honest one. Tricky one.

In professional football you hear of betting scams and further a field corruption. Is that player trying to lose his advantage as he has an alternative motive??

I am interested more though in my former point to see if anyone has changed a decision on the back of a 'honest' player?

Last edited:
I once kept a player on the pitch as a direct result of both teams insisting he wasn't the last man. It was a nothing game, watched by no one. The game had been well won by the team offended against so I let their insistence get to me.

It still wrangles with me to this day and it is something I have never contemplated again, even when placed under the same pressure in equally bland games.

You never know who is watching, and being 'last weeks ref' is not worth it

I had a penalty go through net once.

Gave the goal, but there were some half hearted appeals from defending side that the ball went wide.

It was a while ago now, but think it was a very one sided game, so not a game changer, hence the half hearted appeals.

So have any of you guys had an incident when you've made an honest mistake and a player who has gained the advantage tells you that in fact it wasn't a goal or not a penalty or even not a corner?

As in the clip above with no huge player reaction or protest what do you do? You have given a decision as you have seen it, but you are now being influenced to change a decision by a player, albeit an honest one. Tricky one.

In professional football you hear of betting scams and further a field corruption. Is that player trying to lose his advantage as he has an alternative motive??

I am interested more though in my former point to see if anyone has changed a decision on the back of a 'honest' player?
I once didn't send a player off for DOGSO that I was about to, because the "fouled" attacker and his strike partner both insisted the defender had slipped, barelay made contact anyway and he shouldn't be sent off for that. I stuck with the FK decision though (technically should have been a drop ball I'd guess, if the eventual decision was no foul?) and it didn't stop the attackers teammate lashing the FK into the top corner. I was actually being assessed on that game and the assessor didn't seem to have a problem with that decision, although I suspect he was under the impression I'd simply decided it wasn't DOGSO and the tackle in isolation wasn't worth a card.

I do feel that if one part of our job is to punish poor sportsmanship, we should also applaud and encourage good sportsmanship where possible. I'm not totally sure that I do regret that decision in retrospect, it seemed to work well in the context of a slightly heated match and may well have led to a correct final decision in terms of not dismissing the player. Although that's not to say I'd do it again either - my last sending off for SFP was given despite the fouled players captain standing next to me and insisting it wasn't red even as I showed it.

Last edited:
Actually I think it was wrong if you gave a free kick in the end rather than a dropball

I've overturned goalkick/corner decisions and throw-ins before, based on player honesty. Can't recall a card being changed based on it though. I think if you communicate it in the right way, it can aid match control.
I did it (GK/corner) in a L4 assessment about 8 minutes in (not something I'd recommend by the way!) and assessor said post-match that although he personally felt I got lucky with the match control following that, my communication within it allowed players to still respect me and I accepted in a strong way I was wrong. I was bricking it in all honesty when he brought it up!

Back