A&H

Needs to be said

Ganajin

Level 3 Referee
Yesterday was the first day of our Football season (in Australia we run April till Sept/Oct). I was scheduled for two Ladies' games, first a division six match and afterwards a division three. These are open age games with most of the ladies being in early twenties.

Over both games combined I probably only gave about ten free kicks. Each game had one team running away with match, but the spirit was good. I had generally good games, and all four CARs were honest and fair, and ranged from good to excellent. I made a decision over a foul in first match which I was questioned about severally by a player from each team. But this was not even a hint of dissent, they listened to my answer and clearly had actually asked to find out!

In the second match the teams played with very good humour. I turned down a deliberate handling call against the home side who were winning by several goals. To my call of "accidental" one of the away team said laughing "I know...but we're losing by so many, you could have given it to us...". I felt excellent respect towards me throughout both games. I actually felt like all four teams wanted to enjoy a game of football, and I was just there to settle any niggley grey areas. At the close of each game many handshakes and thank-you's from the players. The whole afternoon was a pure pleasure.

So why am I recounting all this on a website that usually deals with problems of Law or discipline? Well, I have found this site (and a few other similar ones) very useful in honing knowledge and ideas of how to referee. But the impression all this must give new young refs, is that refereeing is one long battle between officials and players at best, and a kind of mini-war zone at worst. And quite often the replies are jaded and cynical in the extreme. I am not denying the problems that can arise (I have suffered a fair few), but I just think, for the sake of fairness, every now and then the other side of the coin needs to be acknowledged.

Thank you.

The Referee Store
Great post @Ganajin!

You're right that there's a lot of negative and cynical posts and within that, it's easy to forget that the majority of teams and players are just there to enjoy a good game of football. As in all other walks of life, the minority will always harbour the majority of the attention.

Thanks @Ganajin but the majority of the forum users referee in English junior football or open age football.

In junior football, there are too many coaches who believe that because they have been on a couple of coaching courses, that they are on a par with Jose Mourinho and other top European coaches, working with players who are constantly bombarded with images of players from the professional game haranguing referees, supported by parents who live vicariously through their children in an attempt to re-live their past glories or to secure a financially rewarding future.

In open age football, we face jaded players who look for escapism, live in a country where employment is uncertain and then add in the above (apart from the parents)...

So if everything is rosy is your world of ladies open age football halfway across the world, I am pleased for you. In our game in our part of the world, referees are almost constantly under siege.

In junior football, there are too many coaches who believe that because they have been on one coaching course, that they are on a par with Jose Mourinho and other top European coaches, working with players who are constantly bombarded with images of players from the professional game haranguing referees, supported by parents who live vicariously through their children in an attempt to re-live their past glories or to secure a financially rewarding future.
I've made a minor correction for you... ;)

@Ganajin Glad to hear its not all doom and gloom. I too have gone out and thoroughly enjoyed the games that I referee; unfortunately the bad behaviour is forever encroaching, and makes you wonder where it might end up. However, as you say, people tend to post negative rather than positive experiences - across the internet. Perhaps we could do with a good news thread on this forum :)

I predominantly referee in schools football.

The games I enjoy most is when I referee our sixth form (U18) 4th XI (we have a BIG sixth form) against a similar side from another school or college (may be their 2nds, 3rds or 4ths depending on the size of school.)

Pretty much all 22 players have, by this stage, realised that they are not going to make it as a professional footballer and are just grateful for a game of football on a Wednesday afternoon. They're happy to be out of the classroom (most sixth forms around here still have Wednesday afternoon set aside for sport, although, worryingly, one school down the road has just abandoned this "protected time")

Of course, both sides want to win, but nothing resides on the outcome of the game (no league or cup). Fouls are committed, but the players pretty much recognise that fouls are committed due to their own incompetence and inability rather than malice and a sporting "sorry mate" and a handshake is usually offered by the perpetrator to the victim. (Plus, they recognise that the overall standard of ability on the pitch is pretty low, so they are more accepting of my incompetence as a ref!;))

Yes, the standard of football can be pretty poor (at this level, but not all school football - some of it is played to a very high standard) which can make positioning a little tricky - more often than not the ball doesn't end up where you think it will - but it can make for a really enjoyable afternoon for all. (And by the time they are in the sixth form, they defiantly don't want their mum to come & watch, so no parents, which can be an added bonus!)

And actually, one thought for newer refs to consider ... if you want to 'ease' yourself into officiating then Women's Open Age football is a serious option to consider. Full 90 minute games that will allow you to work on your fitness, positioning, whistle / flag work, admin etc with far less dissent / abuse to worry about. Many Women's leagues are happy to accept new referees and (in this part of the country) the games are Sunday afternoons, leaving the mornings free to play / be hungover :). Obviously it won't particularly help 'harden you' for the rigours of O/A Mens but might help you 'hit the ground running' when you do take the plunge ...

Had a very similar game last Saturday. I even got an offside horribly wrong and knew as soon as I blew for it and the only comment aimed at me was 'you owe us a pint afterwards'. Was an absolute pleasure to ref

Yesterday was the first day of our Football season (in Australia we run April till Sept/Oct). I was scheduled for two Ladies' games, first a division six match and afterwards a division three. These are open age games with most of the ladies being in early twenties.

Over both games combined I probably only gave about ten free kicks. Each game had one team running away with match, but the spirit was good. I had generally good games, and all four CARs were honest and fair, and ranged from good to excellent. I made a decision over a foul in first match which I was questioned about severally by a player from each team. But this was not even a hint of dissent, they listened to my answer and clearly had actually asked to find out!

In the second match the teams played with very good humour. I turned down a deliberate handling call against the home side who were winning by several goals. To my call of "accidental" one of the away team said laughing "I know...but we're losing by so many, you could have given it to us...". I felt excellent respect towards me throughout both games. I actually felt like all four teams wanted to enjoy a game of football, and I was just there to settle any niggley grey areas. At the close of each game many handshakes and thank-you's from the players. The whole afternoon was a pure pleasure.

So why am I recounting all this on a website that usually deals with problems of Law or discipline? Well, I have found this site (and a few other similar ones) very useful in honing knowledge and ideas of how to referee. But the impression all this must give new young refs, is that refereeing is one long battle between officials and players at best, and a kind of mini-war zone at worst. And quite often the replies are jaded and cynical in the extreme. I am not denying the problems that can arise (I have suffered a fair few), but I just think, for the sake of fairness, every now and then the other side of the coin needs to be acknowledged.

Thank you.

There are occasions pleasant stories come out. Typically some idiot ruins it though.

Posted one myself last week but gone now due to PC brigade.

I like to precede a gross generalisation with the word "some".

I've had plenty of OA matches where it has been an absolute pleasure to referee, I've had some tough ones (during a game last month one of the 75 supporters shouted out I was dog ****) but I've only ever had one which made me question whether or not I wanted to bother with reffing (I don't referee Sunday football only had to to get matches in for promotion a few season back). I did some Sunday games which were absolutely fine (in fact I recognised a sunday player in a Spartan game last year who recognised me).

Thank you.

Women's football is like that over here too. Nice and easy with virtually no dissent and no drama. ;)

Regarding the cynicism and the forum content - this forum isn't representing any national body or organisation. Nor is it an officially recognised source of information or "standard". It's simply a collection of individual "users" who all have something in common ie football referee who come on here to ask questions of their fellow members, debate issues and share (refereeing) experiences.
If the realism of it all paints a bad picture for some - unlucky!! :D Far better to know the truth of things than live in fluffy world. ;)

I do find that the mentality of players, spectators and team officials can vary quite significantly from region to region. And of course, from team to team and match to match. Always nice to hear when somebody has been able to do nothing but enjoy themselves!

Women's football is like that over here too. Nice and easy with virtually no dissent and no drama. ;)

Regarding the cynicism and the forum content - this forum isn't representing any national body or organisation. Nor is it an officially recognised source of information or "standard". It's simply a collection of individual "users" who all have something in common ie football referee who come on here to ask questions of their fellow members, debate issues and share (refereeing) experiences.
If the realism of it all paints a bad picture for some - unlucky!! :D Far better to know the truth of things than live in fluffy world. ;)

That's what I thought with the occasional (probably unfunny if mine) joke thrown in.

But some seem to think it's some sort of official spokes body for the United Nations and no boundary can ever be approached.

Reactions: Kes
I have to say in my short refereeing career the good experiences definitely out weigh the bad ones. Although, I appreciate that it's likely I've been lucky and have mainly only had good teams who just want to play a competitive game of football.

However, I've had a few run ins with "those" teams, and unfortunately the negative experiences are always more memorable than the good.

Back