A&H

My game today.

Reffariiii

RefChat Addict
Very interesting game today. Was gettin assessed in an U16 CC quater final, between 2 teams who have a bit of a reputation! The home team play in a league where ref's are not appointed, and so they get more or less the same biased coach reffin them every week, hense when they have a neutral ref, they get a bit ''over excited''
rolleyes.png

Anyway, the game starts fine, no real incidents. First goal to the home team from a corner, defence claiming a push, but nothing realy. Had a word with the away captain, who loudly lets me know that he is a qualified ref, so I give him the whole ''If you;r a ref you should know better...'' bla bla bla. As the half goes on, it gets a bit more heated, but still no incidents.

Second half, and within 4 minutes, I have a caution for Persistent infringement, and a caution for dissent for the captain (the supposed ref), both for the away team. He called me a ''lunatic''. Some thought, including the assessor, that I had a case for OFFINABUS here, wich to be fair, I suppose was true, but I didn't feel the game needed a red card, and I was hardly offended by teh comment!

During all this, the coaches are agravating the newly cautioned captain, who apparently has a reputation, so I had a word with the coaches, and here end that. During all of this, little was I aware that there was a bit or arji-barji between two players, so I quickly got myself over to where 2 players were being held appart by their team-mates, and along with a phew hoots of the whistle, made it known that I wouldn't be taking this. I think I managed to sell that reasonably well, even though I didn't see it!

Play goes on, and it gets very dirty and very messy, so I took the technique of slowing the game down, blwoing for everything and generaly giving myself and the teams time to think. This seemed to work nicely...

Untill the away team wanted to make a sub, (both teams were on seperate sides), so I ran toward the half way line to make the sub, all fine, untill I hear a sea of ''ref!'' from the other side. It seams that the same arji-barji had been going on again, and yes, again I missed it. This time, I hadn;t a clue of who or what, and so continued with the sub, and made my way over, shouting out warnings, at everybody! Strike 2, and Ive missed it, again!

The game quickened up a bit now, and there was an injury on the furthest side of the field possible to where the spectators were. And yes, as I made my way over, the shouting came again, and as I turned around, it was obvious that the same thing had happened, and yet again I missed it.

The game ended, with tensions very high, and me trying my best not to have to send anybody off, wich is still a miracle to me, as to how I managed not to!

So yes, that was my lovely afternoon! I was just wandering what would you do in the same kind of situation in regards to the incidents I missed?

The Referee Store
Unfortunately we all miss stuff. One of my games, I went over to the goalkeeper who was injured, whilst heading over I missed an elbow. Turned round after hearing the roar from pretty much everyone, crowd of players all around me complaining about the elbow. Nothing i could do as I didn't see it. What made it worse for me was the player who elbowed the other popped up later and netted the winner.

Received a letter from the league a few days later, team had complained about me. Had to explain my views of the game to the league committee.

That another question I had. Ive had teams threaten to complain about me, but have never seen anything from it. Do leagues acctualy do something about it if a team complains about a ref?

Never seen it happen but I guess they could stop the referee from officiating on that league

all depends on circumstances. Will need to prove you were in the wrong 100% and basically cheating to be thrown out of league i would have thought.

Sitting on a league committee Lewys, maybe I'm best placed to answer?

In "my" league any letters of complaint usually accompany a low mark. If a referee is marked by the club below a certain level, they must make a written report to the league explaining their reasons for doing so. This is then passed to the local FA RDO. He/she may then forward it to the referee in question if they deem necessary.

In the 10.5 years I've been going, it has happened to me twice, the most recent being in January, where one team complained afterwards about a multitude of things, mostly minor, but with little or no evidence to back it up.

If these reports are commonplace, then the RDO may decide it is worthwhile the referee in question receiving a Development Assessment, as there may be real problems, or difficulties that that particular referee is facing.

Thank you very much Tealeaf :). Ive not heard anything, so I'm hoping that nothing has been done... That said I've not recieved the assessement either!

all depends on circumstances. Will need to prove you were in the wrong 100% and basically cheating to be thrown out of league i would have thought.

Not really, any league is entitled to not accept the registration of a referee. You don't have a god given right to referee on a particular league.....they can dispense with your services at any time....they'll just stop appointing you to games!!

Our local league Appointments Sec has a bit of a mischievous way of dealing with the instance of a team moaning for no good reason - the referee is simply sent back out to the same team the next month.

Most teams get the message from this and the petty complaints stop quite quickly

Back