A&H

My game had it all

MDempster

Level 6 Referee
Yesterday refereeing cup semi final, black/white v green. All started well some great football being played. Some grumbles from green about the challenges on one player in particular. Nothing other than careless but after a couple it did seem he was being targeted. On the third I called black/white captain over and advised that I was aware of the persistent infringements against one player and I would look to caution the next player who committed a foul on this player. As it happened a few minutes later whilst taking a high ball this player was charged in the back, which was worthy of a caution in any case. Free kick scored, 0-1.

Just before half time, a cross was headed towards goal where a green defender blocked it with an outstretched arm. Easy penalty, unless you are green. Quite a few protests that he couldn't help where his arm was and his proximity meant he couldn't get out of the way. I said an outstretched arm makes him un-naturally bigger and its his risk. The penalty was missed.

Second half and another hand ball shout against green. I didn't give it, but am second guessing. Players arm was outstretched arm but it hit is arm pit. Had his arm not been outstretched it would have probably flew past him, but it didn't strike the part of the arm necessary for a hand ball offence.

Green were attacking almost at will and in one incident a green forward was trying to get onto a through ball, but the keeper came out and smothered in towards the edge of the area. The attacker initially jumped to hurdle the goalkeeper, before dropping his foot straight into the goalkeepers torso.

I blew immediately, isolating the player and dismissed for SFP. No fewer that 5 away team players surrounded be stating it wasn't intentional and that he barely touched him. I did explain that intent for me wasn't a consideration, by leaving his foot in he was risking the safety of an opponent, which I thing is even more pertinent when it is a goalkeeper in a prone position on the ground.

Not five minutes later comments are being made about what colour shirt I was wearing (you should be wearing a black/white shirt), again from the green. Well as I had already had a couple of discussions with the captain about the constant questioning and surrounding I stopped play and issued a sin bin for dissent. Maybe this could have been red, but I felt it was more born in frustration that insulting to me.

After the sin bin was over I was asked if the player could come back on, well after 10 minutes of "how long left," to which I signaled him to re-enter. As they were breaking away, their own captain asked if I needed to take the players details as they'd made a substitute. It appears they opted to not send the sin binned player back on but substitute him. I stopped play as he became active and awarded an indirect free kick at the point he entered the field. Also issuing a C6 yellow for entering the field of play without permission.

The game remained 0-1 and at the final whistle almost every player from both teams shook my hand a commented how well I'd handled the game. So I must have done something right.

Did I handle all of this correctly?

The Referee Store
Great report! Well done. I don’t do sin bins but the rest sounds top drawer.

You’ve picked some highlights and this was an important match - so, what could you have done differently, what are your improvement points?

I think my biggest thing is like to take stock of, is a couple of players accused me of having an attitude with them.
Maybe I did, it voices had to be raised to be heard when I’m surrounded and hand gestures when telling the captain to get a grip of his players. But I cannot see how I could do that differently.

Sounds like you handled everything well from what you’ve described.

I’d not pay much attention to the accusation of having an “attitude”, sounds like you could have started every sentence with pleases and ended it with thank you and the greens would have invented something to complain about.

It does make me laugh when players think it’s ok to surround you, shout at you and argue about every decision but if you raise your voice slightly then they accuse you of having an attitude or not showing them respect.

Thanks for the comments, nice to know that its not my attitude thats the issue. Must be doing something right, just received my appointments from the league for March and have the same two teams again in three weeks in another semi final.

I blew immediately, isolating the player and dismissed for SFP. No fewer that 5 away team players surrounded be stating it wasn't intentional and that he barely touched him. I did explain that intent for me wasn't a consideration, by leaving his foot in he was risking the safety of an opponent, which I thing is even more pertinent when it is a goalkeeper in a prone position on the ground.
Sounds like you had an interesting game @MDempster . One observation on this, nothing wrong with your decision - quite correct. But the "sell" could have been better.

Consider bring the relevant Capt over to hear what you say for the dismissal. It will stop the players rushing you, as their Capt has heard the explanation and you can tell them to speak with their Capt. It may seem silly, but the players only see the challenge and the RC, and hear nothing of your reasoning. Getting the Capt involved does look like you have provided a sensible reason behind your decision.

Sounds like you had an interesting game @MDempster . One observation on this, nothing wrong with your decision - quite correct. But the "sell" could have been better.

Consider bring the relevant Capt over to hear what you say for the dismissal. It will stop the players rushing you, as their Capt has heard the explanation and you can tell them to speak with their Capt. It may seem silly, but the players only see the challenge and the RC, and hear nothing of your reasoning. Getting the Capt involved does look like you have provided a sensible reason behind your decision.
I did speak with the captain after the incident as he asked why it was red. So in hindsight calling him over as part of the dismissal may have prevented escalation by his players.

The goalkeeper took quite a whack and was down in a serious amount of pain, at the time my priority was to deal with the offender quickly to show I was in control of the situation and reduce the risk of mass confrontation. Next time I will try to be more conscious of isolating, preventing any risk of escalation and getting the captain over as I issue the dismissal. I suppose I didn’t need to issue a quick red to prevent anything, I could have managed it and still shown I was in control.

Definitely a development point to take forward.

Thanks for the comments, nice to know that its not my attitude thats the issue. Must be doing something right, just received my appointments from the league for March and have the same two teams again in three weeks in another semi final.
Experienced referees talk about developing your “referee personality.” And I think the best referees can chameleon into different roles/tones when appropriate. Think Collina going from all smiley to a all vein busting bulging eyes in a heartbeat.

Your style is a very personal thing. The answer is more games, more situations, more experience, more self awareness and it will come.

(I am the opposite, I find it very hard to get angry and I am probably over polite and courteous.)

Experienced referees talk about developing your “referee personality.” And I think the best referees can chameleon into different roles/tones when appropriate. Think Collina going from all smiley to a all vein busting bulging eyes in a heartbeat.

Your style is a very personal thing. The answer is more games, more situations, more experience, more self awareness and it will come.

(I am the opposite, I find it very hard to get angry and I am probably over polite and courteous.)
This is a real skill, unlike you I am quite happy to adopt a firm tone, but otherwise I am relatively quiet because I find if I start to engage too much then dissent goes up. I'm not their mate etc etc.

But going from just calling decisions and occasional explanations to captains to stern words during stepped approach can give players (at least at my level) a bit of whiplash

Back