A&H

My first cup match

RefManDan

Level 7 Referee
Hello All,

I am refereeing my first ever cup match tomorrow. I am nervous incase the game is drawn as I have never had to take charge of extra time or a shootout.

At the end of full time if the match is drawn do you do another coin toss just like the start of the match?

sorry if this seems obviously and silly.

Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
Firstly, check the rules, as many league cups don't have extra time these days and go straight to penalties. If it does then same procedure as at the start of the game.

If at HT of ET it looks like it is going to be a draw, ask both managers / captains to help you in making sure that the players stay on the pitch at the end of ET and any subs stay off. That will help in terms of penalty kick eligibility.

I came to post the same.
Just a calm quick reminder. Amazong how this also helps coaches remember you are human, not an insect!

Hello All,

I am refereeing my first ever cup match tomorrow. I am nervous incase the game is drawn as I have never had to take charge of extra time or a shootout.

At the end of full time if the match is drawn do you do another coin toss just like the start of the match?

sorry if this seems obviously and silly.

Thanks in advance
If there is extra time, same procedure to decide ends/kick off.
If goes to penalties, you can elect to decide which end to take them (e. g. if there is good reason like a road behind one goal) or can toss to decide which end to use. Toss to decide which team goes first.
Re-read Law 10 thoroughly.
Relax!

If there is extra time, same procedure to decide ends/kick off.
If goes to penalties, you can elect to decide which end to take them (e. g. if there is good reason like a road behind one goal) or can toss to decide which end to use. Toss to decide which team goes first.
Re-read Law 10 thoroughly.
Relax!
🚨Pedantry alert🚨

If it goes penalties you toss a coin to decide the ends unless there is a good reason to just select an end (e.g. like a road behind one goal)

😏

Just give or allow a dodgy late one and save yourself the hassle

Or...

READ the Laws of the Game *and* the Competition Rules.

I have started carrying an extra match card for cup ties, which I will use should the game go to pks

spent too many years trying to find space on the one card, counting in that one game with a high crime count,

add on subs, esp when trying keep track when its rolling

fresh card for the pks, had one too many go lots of kicks.

Back